cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delayed installation

Ruby6
Tuning in

My broadband should have gone live on 2nd Dec 2022, I get a date each month but then the day of installation it gets pushed back to the next month. They will now ‘install’ mid March.

I’ve put in 2 complaints, spoken to the pre installation times many times, get apologies but nothing actually happens.

The dongle they have provided is crap as it only ranges to the room you’re in, so my lodger who works from home said he will move out if this isn’t resolved ASAP. 

So, will Virgin ever install the broadband? Am I just being messed around? If I leave them, will I get the compensation owed? Who can I contact to escalate my complaint?

19 REPLIES 19

I’ve checked on the site and only can see 3 and Thames water doing work, nothing from Virgin! I live on a dual carriage way, so think would upload information and on the councils website it directs you to https://one.network/

I contacted them a few months ago but no reply, just sent another email so hopefully they reply!

i just Virgin to be honest, are they going to connect me or not and pay me my compensation. 

I’ve replied to you. Hopefully something can be done but I’m very doubtful. So sick of the call centre reading from a script, I can predict what they well say next as that’s how many times I’ve called. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Ruby6 wrote:

I’ve checked on the site and only can see 3 and Thames water doing work, nothing from Virgin! I live on a dual carriage way, so think would upload information and on the councils website it directs you to https://one.network/

I contacted them a few months ago but no reply, just sent another email so hopefully they reply!

i just Virgin to be honest, are they going to connect me or not and pay me my compensation. 

I think I'd try ringing the council direct to enquire. Inbound emails to a council mailbox may take a very long time to be answered (if they get answered at all). If the work in the street involves work on the dual carriageway, that may potentially be an issue to do with costs for the job.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Molly_T wrote:

Hi Ruby 👋 thank you for returning to the thread to keep it updated. 

Really sorry to hear of these ongoing issues with your delayed installation. I appreciate this is not the best experience for you! This is certainly not the kind of service we aim to provide. Whilst sadly we are very limited with what support we can provide for pre-installation issues via the community, I do feel for your case and would like to ensure we have the complaint raised correctly, and assigned with the best possible team. I will send you a PM to confirm a few account details so I can do this and chase things internally if possible. You can find my PM 📩 in the top right corner of the page in your Inbox. 

Thank you for your continued patience whilst we offer further support and throughout this process. Wishing you all the best.🌞

a complaint to be raised - well thats going to have absolutely no effect other than frustrate the OP even more when it is fobbed off in barely understandable gibberish that is supposed to pass for english

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Ruby. I'm dealing with the exact same thing. Signed up in November. Date keeps getting pushed back. Have called and called and called. Every time get the same generic thing. What is really annoying is getting promised dates then it being pushed back. Have even asked if they can put in my notes just to give me an actual time as opposed to one that will just get pushed back. They keep sending an engineer but they can't do anything until work is completed. Even the engineer is annoyed because they've sent him on three separate occasions when the work hasn't been done. Have tried complaining by WhatsApp, texting calling, emailing. All I get is the same generic answers and that they don't have the info on what's holding it up. Because they can only deal with their select department. Which is ludicrous seeing as every time I get from one department I asked them to update my notes so the next person will have more info. It's a joke if we had a bill with them and just kept sending texts saying I'll pay on you X date then a couple days before said actually mind if I just pay you next month instead they'd be trying to take us to court after 6 months. This is supposed to be a communications company that can't seem to communicate well enough to get a job done. 

Hi @EarlofLemonGrab,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm so sorry to hear about this. I can see that you've created another thread about these issues you're having, and I've responded to you there a short while ago. We'll continue to assist you from there with this going forward.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Ruby6
Tuning in

Still no installation, I could see on one network that they had applied for lane closures for today but they haven’t even turned up to do the work and just pushed my installation date forward to June.

Can someone advise me on the compensation process once you cancel instead of waiting for installation to be reimbursed it. I’ve had enough! 

Ruby, if you really have had enough and cancel, then VM are still obliged to pay you the requisite compensation (before April it was £5.25 per day, it's a little more now), obviously not in the form of account credit (as you won't have one) but as a cheque (yes I know, quaint but still fitting for a company whose operating procedures are stuck in the 19th Century).

In theory this is all automatic as per the guidelines which OFCOM drew up and VM agreed to, so if you were to call them and cancel tomorrow, say, and assuming that your instruction was carried out and not just ignored, then you should get a cheque for the correct amount within 30 days.

Well that's the theory, what would actually happen is probably nothing at all, or a message offering £20 as a goodwill gesture and a claim that they don't even owe you that on the grounds that it's not their fault, council permits, leaves on the line, sunspots etc! If and when that happens, you contact VM, and raise a formal complaint, probably best done in writing to their Sunderland office, rejecting any insulting compensation, or if they have simply ignored you completely, and request full payment of the delayed installation compensation owed (you can look up the current daily rate, and calculate it accordingly), the first installation date itself doesn't count, it starts from the next day, and the day you formally cancel also doesn't count, plus you add an additional £25 in recompense for the poor complaint handling and inconvenience.

Naturally this will go nowhere either but eight weeks after you make the complaint and get nowhere, you can escalate it to the Ombudsman Service where you request that VM be 'ordered' to pay you the compensation plus, by now and additional £50 for the extra inconvenience and even worse complaint handling. Their rulings can be enforced in the Courts if necessary - watching bailiffs turn up at VM HQ with police presence to arrest the security people and start removing goods to the value of.., well I'd pay good money to see that!

When I spoke to customer service, they said I would only be paid the compensation owed once installation was completed. Your post indicates that this is incorrect.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Ruby6 wrote:

When I spoke to customer service, they said I would only be paid the compensation owed once installation was completed. Your post indicates that this is incorrect.

VMUser1812 is correct. You do not have to complete the installation to be paid compensation. You are eligible for payment up until the point that you cancel.

You should familiarise yourself with the OFCOM minimum compo requirements doc below

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0026/216962/Industry-Code-of-Practice-for-Automatic-...

and VM's implementation of it

https://www.virginmedia.com/legal/fibre-optic-services-terms-conditions/automatic-compensation

Time and again on here, customers report being told false and misleading information about compensation by VM representatives over the phone and what the customer is/is not entitled to.

Very likely you will need to go through the complaint/escalation/arbitration process to get VM to pay up, so being clued up on the reg's will help you to spot when VM representatives are telling you something that isn't true.