Menu
Highlighted
Settling in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Delayed installation

Hi

We were originally scheduled to have our broadband/phone installation today. A pre-install team arrived last week to try and pull the cable from the cabinet to outside our house but informed us that some construction work was needed and that it also looked like there was a crushed duct under a newly built drive/property - given this will be private property chances are slim this will be permitted.

We have now received a new installation date for next month however do not want to be waiting for a 2nd team to arrive simply to confirm the installation won't be possible. Our current service is due to cut today and so have been left without any service. I am struggling to reach the appropriate team by phone to get any information on the construction and if this has been surveyed etc. but would rather just cancel if the work hasn't already been agreed/signed off.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Delayed installation

Hello

With any blocked / crushed ducting the delay will be down to getting permission from the local council to do the dig / close roads and only then will they will be able to do any further survey, this permission can take between 6-8 weeks to be  given.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

VM do not lay ducts under private driveways. The chances are the driveway crosses the street service strip. This is managed by the Local Authority, who will issue a work permit once a plan is confirmed. The average for this to complete is 6 to 8 weeks, so the best advice is to overlap your services with your current provider until the install takes place. If you are porting a landline number to Virgin this has to remain an active service with no cancellation notice on it from your current provider anyway, or the likelihood is you will lose your number as ports cannot take place with a cancellation on the line.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Settling in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike, thought that would be the case and hence why I think it's probably best just to cancel. Guess the October dates are a bit misleading.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Settling in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

That makes sense but would permission not be needed anyway to block access to the drive temporarily?

Your point on the landline number is slightly concerning. The contract was due to end with the current provider in a few days and we'd requested to port over with virgin as part of the order (no request directly to current provider) - received an email to say services would end today so would this mean the landline will be cut and won't be able to port? Would there be any way to save this as it's a number we've had for 25 years!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello

With landline ports both number have to be active and the previous line must not have a cancellation order on it, if there is a cancellation order with your provider then they will refuse the port.

The only way to make sure the port goes through is too contact your previous provider and request they keep the line active, once virginmedia have your line active they will request the port, and then no more than 10 days once the port has complete your previous provider will cancel the contract / line.

Regards Mike

Highlighted
Settling in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

We haven't contacted the current provider directly to cancel but will have been notified by Virgin when we placed the order. Would Virgin have place this cancellation order?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Waqar1,

Thanks for replying, we would contact your current landline provider at the time of the number port. So if there has not been a cancel request put in by yourself, then this number would not be cancelled.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos