Menu
Balboy
Joining in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Delayed installation

Good evening all  

Hoping someone could clarify something for me. I have been reading this forum for a while  ( just in case, ha, pessimistic I know ) and turns out I do indeed, need help. I have done a search too, but still confused. 

I was due to have VM installed tomorrow, but it’s been delayed until the second week of October due to issues with the cable and permissions need to be obtained. I have an existing connection ( wires up to the grey box on the house wall, no further, last used 10 years ago, before we moved in ). I heard the engineers yesterday looking at the green ducting on the path outside saying “ it’s not budging “. 

Ive has a few emails apologising and giving me a £25 credit for missed appointment within 24 hours, and a text chat with someone where I asked a question, but was referred to Ofcom guidelines, which I’ve already read; hence this request to you in the community as I’m still unclear. 

If I choose to wait till the next installation date, will I receive the £5 per day till installed? That would be around another £90.  I’m assuming my date was confirmed as I have no reason to believe otherwise. As I switched using Uswitch, my Talk Talk will disconnect at midnight tonight. 

I will have no internet for 3 weeks, but I’m sure I will survive using 3G, losing only my Netflix and sonos speaker system . I’m really not one to bite my nose off to spite my face and I’m ok to wait for VM to install as I would still like to join, due to an unreliable BT line, but if there’s no incentive to wait, then I could really start looking for an alternative provider.

Any help would really be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Delayed installation

The Forum Team will confirm, but while I believe you will get the £25 for the missed appointment, the ducting issue cannot be resolved without the intervention of a third parties that are outside Virgins control. This will involve a construction contractor & the local authority who will have to issue a permit. As soon as you involve third parties this takes you out of the scope of compensation

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Balboy
Joining in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for taking the time to reply nodrogd. 

I guess it’s up to me to weigh up the pros and cons of waiting. Hopefully it doesn’t drag on further. 

Appreciate your time. 

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

depending on the problem (sounds like a duct block) and how long any required permits take to get, it could be days, weeks, or months.
0 Kudos
Balboy
Joining in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Yep. That’s the concern. Just how long to wait, and is it worth it  

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

you didn't even really need to "switch" from talk talk to virgin, as virgin don't use the openreach network.
you could have left the talk talk internet in place until virgin was live, then cancelled talk talk.
0 Kudos
Balboy
Joining in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Very true.

But my Talk Talk jumped from £23 pm to £41 pm. Also I didn't have to pay the £35 connection fee with VM if I used Uswitch,  so switching was a good option at the time.

0 Kudos
Balboy
Joining in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Just a thought; but does anyone know. Because I've now switched to VM via a switching service, does that mean that my BT line will now be disconnected tonight?  If I was to cancel VM and try to source another provider ( using the openreach network  ), do you think I would have to pay for a reconnection?.

Just trying to work out options.

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

virgin don't use bt lines at all, so a cease would have been put on the line so it'll essentially be a dead line now.

any new service on that line would be a reconnection.
0 Kudos
Balboy
Joining in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thank you chenks. Had a feeling that would be the case.

Ah well. At least that narrows down the options.  

0 Kudos