cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delayed installation

Ruby6
Tuning in

My broadband should have gone live on 2nd Dec 2022, I get a date each month but then the day of installation it gets pushed back to the next month. They will now ‘install’ mid March.

I’ve put in 2 complaints, spoken to the pre installation times many times, get apologies but nothing actually happens.

The dongle they have provided is crap as it only ranges to the room you’re in, so my lodger who works from home said he will move out if this isn’t resolved ASAP. 

So, will Virgin ever install the broadband? Am I just being messed around? If I leave them, will I get the compensation owed? Who can I contact to escalate my complaint?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Martin_N wrote:

We do appreciate your frustration with that Ruby6. Sadly delays can happened depending on the work required. The team will be working to get this resolved as soon as possible. 

^Martin

well thats direct - no 6 to 8 week excuse for council permissions that actually take 48 hours - no we are sorry but installs can sometimes can take 10 weeks which was a new line i read the other day

as for teams working to get it resolved - thats a bland statement - what i guess you mean is that VM have passed this on to an external contractor who will do something sometime maybe but there will be no urgency and certainly no communication back to VM who when asked will be confident it will all be sorted tomorrow [guaranteed] or tomorrows tomorrow

so short version for the OP VM have not a clue and dont care

Tony.
Sacked VIP

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

19 REPLIES 19

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Ruby6 wrote:

My broadband should have gone live on 2nd Dec 2022, I get a date each month but then the day of installation it gets pushed back to the next month. They will now ‘install’ mid March.

I’ve put in 2 complaints, spoken to the pre installation times many times, get apologies but nothing actually happens.

The dongle they have provided is crap as it only ranges to the room you’re in, so my lodger who works from home said he will move out if this isn’t resolved ASAP. 

So, will Virgin ever install the broadband? Am I just being messed around? If I leave them, will I get the compensation owed? Who can I contact to escalate my complaint?

do not leave or cancel just let the compensation mount up - you may have to fight for it and go to the arbitrator but you will get it - you can come back here for help

will you get installed - probarbly but as and when - ringing - asking here will not change that as and when - you need a plan in the mean time - if you have 5g in the area then look at 3 - £25 a month on a 30 day contract via their mobile BB - i left VM for that - i get 500 down at best 50 up - it falls back to 4g at times but its still usable - you might need a router more central as their router needs to be near a window but it works

other than that look at other isp's BUT let the VM install continue and cancel in the 14 day cooling off period when they finally install and then get the compensation

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thanks Tony, I spoke to Ofcom and they said they would contact Virgin, someone called me this morning and promised to look into it.

Ofcom also said if I decide to cancel and go with another provider before activation, they still have to pay the compensation.

Hi @Ruby6 👋

Welcome back to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

I am sorry your install has been delayed. Appreciate this isn't ideal. 

I have taken a look at our systems and can see external work is required. As soon as this has been completed, we can progress things with the install. 

Construction issues are generally out of our control but please be assured, we're doing everything we can. 

I note, you also spoke to our team and they have escalated things to the Field Team for you. 

In regards to compensation, you can read more about this here - Auto Compensation Policy.

Thank you

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Ayisha,

I understand external works are required but they should have been done in November and they delay it each month. It has been escalated but nothing seems to be getting done!

We do appreciate your frustration with that Ruby6. Sadly delays can happened depending on the work required. The team will be working to get this resolved as soon as possible. 

^Martin

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Martin_N wrote:

^Martin

well thats direct - no 6 to 8 week excuse for council permissions that actually take 48 hours - no we are sorry but installs can sometimes can take 10 weeks which was a new line i read the other day

as for teams working to get it resolved - thats a bland statement - what i guess you mean is that VM have passed this on to an external contractor who will do something sometime maybe but there will be no urgency and certainly no communication back to VM who when asked will be confident it will all be sorted tomorrow [guaranteed] or tomorrows tomorrow

so short version for the OP VM have not a clue and dont care

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Well the installation was delayed once again! New date 8th April. I have put in complaint’s, made no difference.

This is a complete joke! They really don’t care and the same excuse of permits/construction work not completed, I have been waiting since November!

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Ruby6 wrote:

Well the installation was delayed once again! New date 8th April. I have put in complaint’s, made no difference.

This is a complete joke! They really don’t care and the same excuse of permits/construction work not completed, I have been waiting since November!

Have you spoken to your local highway authority (which might be your local council or county council) to check if any permits have been applied for your work? VM often uses 'council permits' as a blanket excuse for their own failings during installations.

If/when you need to go to arbitration to obtain compensation, having that proof that VM's 'council permit' excuses were not correct will be useful evidence.

You can also check below

https://one.network/

and see if any work is shown (use the drop down date box top LHS to check for future work). The website may give you an indication but not all jobs for all councils and all contractors are shown.

Hi Ruby 👋 thank you for returning to the thread to keep it updated. 

Really sorry to hear of these ongoing issues with your delayed installation. I appreciate this is not the best experience for you! This is certainly not the kind of service we aim to provide. Whilst sadly we are very limited with what support we can provide for pre-installation issues via the community, I do feel for your case and would like to ensure we have the complaint raised correctly, and assigned with the best possible team. I will send you a PM to confirm a few account details so I can do this and chase things internally if possible. You can find my PM 📩 in the top right corner of the page in your Inbox. 

Thank you for your continued patience whilst we offer further support and throughout this process. Wishing you all the best.🌞

Molly