cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delayed installation - is it going to happen?

AliceCl
Settling in

I ordered Virgin Media to my new address two weeks ago, and was messaged to say engineering work would happen, and got an installation date of 29 July. At nine pm on 28 July, I got a text to say it had been delayed, and a new date for installation, nearly a month later. I've changed the installation date to 16 August, but given all the posts about delayed installation, I'm not filled with hope and there's no clarity about what the issue is. 

I need the internet installed so I can work, I will be negatively affected if I cannot work in my property given the retained guidance to work from home. Can anyone tell me what the actual issue is, and whether I'm actually going to have internet in my property any time soon? 

3 REPLIES 3

Z92
Trouble shooter

Do you actually have Virgin media cable to your property? If not that's most likely what the issue is. Until the cable is installed (which is typically done by an outside contractor) VM can't install your services. The reason for the cable not being installed can be several reasons, typically a blockage in a duct needed to pull the cable through. Whilst you can usually bring the date forward, until the cable is installed, it'll just keep getting rescheduled the day before until it's completed.

Note that if planning permission is required to solve any problems - such as the need to fix any blocked or collapsed duct, then you might be looking at a 6 to 8 week delay.

In other words, it'll eventually happen, but when is a guess. Typically it's completed in a few months though.

I would suggest a mobile data sim until the install is complete.

Thanks. Mobile data sim isn't suitable, given signal is crap in the local area. I just want to be told what the actual timeframe is. If I were told it was a six week timeframe, then that I could plan around! 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Have you checked the mobile signal at that location on all networks?  There can be a considerable difference between them.

Mobile data can be very useful if the broadband fails, which is does from time to time. Virgin Media is a residential service and although you can use it for work there is no guarantee of continuous service.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.