cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delayed installation affecting current supplier.

theboyburden
On our wavelength

I am now on my 5th date for installation, going back to August.   Previous delays have been only a couple of weeks but the latest is two months.   Contractors still, apparently, trying to sort out underground issues, but as usual, nobody can advise exactly what.

Problem is, VM have now failed to notify my current supplier (Sky) of the latest delay to 7/12, so Sky are ending my service on 13/10 unless VM contact them (as they have with all other delays) within literally the next few hours.  I’ve been told it should be sorted - but am I living in false hope?

I cannot afford to be without internet.  Two of us work from home and one of my children is home schooled.  We also need to keep our number.   Starting to wish I’d never  considered VM but as we cannot get fibre in our area they are our only option for better connection.

Getting incredibly upset by this.

10 REPLIES 10

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I come bearing bad news: Read this thread, and you'll have a reasonable understanding.

In terms of what next, well at least there's the compensation, although you'll probably have to fight VM to get it.  If you want continuous internet connection, then you probably need to tell Sky you wish to stay with them.  

When it works VM is pretty good.  Unfortunately anything that involves contacting them and getting any issue resolved can quickly lead to misery and despair.  Have a scan of Trustpilot entries for Virgin Media - ignore "invited" reviews as those are a deliberate attempt to change the appalling overall numbers, and focus on how many dreadful reviews there are, and how many crop up each day.  Or for a more objective view, read Ofcom's complaint data.

Thanks for responding.

Despite the delays I was  (kind of) happy to let the installation play out - but now I am in danger of having my current provider cancel on me due to VM's inadequacy I'm tempted to just cancel the whole bloomin' switch.   Hopefully, Sky will let me do that, but it means I'm stuck with ADSL broadband until Openreach finally get to my area.

I raised a complaint on Sunday too, and guess what - no promised acknowledgment, and nothing appearing on my account.

VM's complaint handling is the same Keystone Kops performance as new installations, so don't expect much to change.  However, it's good that you've started this, because if you need to fight for the correct level of compensation then even if you need to involve the industry complaints adjudicator CISAS, you have to have complained to VM first.

Hi theboyburden

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

My apologies for the install delay. I can see from a system check this is construction related and you've spoke to the team since posting. I will send you a PM however to ensure the complaint is raised and assigned to the relevant team

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Before I respond can you confirm how I know you are a genuine member of the VM forum team, please?  No offence intended, but I’m sceptical about these things.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @theboyburden 

All Forum Staff have the infinty symbol next to their name, plus it says Forum Team under their name.

You can check all VM Forum Staff on <<< this page >>> 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You'll find that the forum staff will try hard to be helpful. But due to the lack of internal communication between VM departments - most notably with the subcontractors sent to do the external cabling work - there is very little they can do to speed things up. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

So ironic that a company that provides means of communication cannot actually communicate with anyone.

Yes. That has been said many times. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.