cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delayed Installation

DavidPavon
Joining in

Hi,

On the 7th of August I signed up with VM. When doing the booking online I checked and the installation was available in  my flat. The installation date I chose was for the 14th of August.

On the 8th of August they rescheduled the installation for the 08/09/2022 between 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.

On the 7th of September they rescheduled the installation for the 14/10/2022 between 8 a.m. to 1 p.m

On the 13th of October they rescheduled the installation for the 07/11/2022 between 1 p.m to 6 p.m

On every missing appointment I had booked a day off work so I have not only missed holiday time but also lost revenue.

When I talk to them over the phone they have no information to give me. 

They credit my account with three compensations but I am not near of having the service I have signed up for.

Does anyone know what to do? I imagine that until they connect the service they will not add up the 5.04 a day compensation but the fact is that i need the service.

Please if anyone can help! 

5 REPLIES 5

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@DavidPavon wrote:

Hi,

On the 7th of August I signed up with VM. When doing the booking online I checked and the installation was available in  my flat. The installation date I chose was for the 14th of August.

On the 8th of August they rescheduled the installation for the 08/09/2022 between 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.

<snip>

Please if anyone can help! 

Could be a whole bunch of different reasons for your delay. Unfortunately you are unlikely to get any accurate answers from VM which you can rely on. This is due to the poor setup between VM and its cabling sub-contractors which is something of a shambles for some unlucky customers. Read through the many other topics on the 'Quick Start' forum to get an idea of the issues.

You mention an installation in a flat. Some further questions might help clarify your possible setup ...

Is your flat in a purpose-built block of flats or a flat conversion?

Does your own flat already have a VM cable and connection point on the wall or are you waiting for a VM cable and connection point to be installed?

Do any of your neighbours in the flats have VM installed?

What floor is your flat on (VM can typically install to ground and first floor but often runs into problems installing above first floor height)?

When you received the first notification to install on 8/9/22 between 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. what words did VM use to describe what was happening on that installation (e.g. did it mention a technician coming to install equipment and activate your services or similar words) or was it describing just the running in of the cable?

You seem to be in the same boat as me. My initial install date was supposed to be 08/08/22 and I have had the same pattern of missed appointments.

As for the £5.25 per day compensation, Kath_F from the forum team has advised that they won't pay this in our cases:

"If any additional engineering work is required in order to provide the service – such as the premises to our network, it may require third party permissions or permits outside of our control. If this is the case then we have to change the provisional activation date and this will not trigger a credit under the scheme. The £5.25 only comes in to affect if we've completed any work and given a confirmed date"

Unfortunately there is no way of knowing if Virgin Media have completed the necessary work or if your appointment is only "provisional" until it's too late.

So basically, Virgin Media do not need to pay out for a confirmed appointment as Virgin Media did not bother to complete the work.

I have received no compensation so far.

I have another appointment on Wednesday and like the stupid gullible mug that I am I'm taking another day off work for it.

I guess I'll find out on Wednesday whether it was secretly "provisional" again.

Hi Goslow,

The installation is in a maisonette, the flat is above a shop. I don't know if the neighbours have VM but when checking in their website it said that it was available in my property.

Their message is:  Hello, We’re really sorry, but it looks like there’s been a delay with your installation. Our team’s working hard to get you up and running as soon as possible. For some installations we’ll need to check we have all the permissions or permits needed to complete our work. If we need to reschedule your appointment, we’ll send the details of your new slot through separately. Remember, someone over 18 will need to be home for us to install your services.

@DavidPavon wrote:

Hi Goslow,

The installation is in a maisonette, the flat is above a shop. I don't know if the neighbours have VM but when checking in their website it said that it was available in my property.

<snip>

A first guess would be it could be a delay while VM seek wayleave/access to bring a cable to your flat which (presumably) will have to pass by the shop below and/or your neighbours in some way in order to get to you if you are on the first floor.

See if the VM forum team can shed any further light on it for you when they reply here within a few days.

Hi DavidPavon,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the delays with the install. 

I am more than happy to take a look at the account to see if there is anything more I can advise on this. 

I will private message you now regarding this. 

^Martin