cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delayed Installation Excuses

JimmyC23
Tuning in

I ordered my VM broadband back in October 2022 and just received my 4th and latest ‘rescheduling’ via email with no direct contact, which has now moved to March (at the earliest). 

I’ve been told the lie of waiting for permits, and when checked with the council, lo and behold, they don’t exist.

I came onto the forums to find some reassurance that this is a one off, but reading all of the other stories really does put me off continuing to go ahead with the order; is it really worth being out of contract with my current provider (now 4 months) and paying their out of contract charges? 

I did escalate my circumstances with VM a few weeks ago, only to be told firstly that they’ve never cancelled an installation, as there’s a difference between cancellation and rescheduling, which obviously went down like a lead balloon, and as a token of goodwill they’d offer me a 4g dongle that can support up to 6 devices and would that be good enough. Fast forward 2 hours, I’d been put on their ‘priority list’ for an install, but it only seems the priority list notifies you of the cancelled install a few days earlier than it normally does. 

I’m not even a customer yet, and the customer service is the worst I’ve ever come across. Does anyone have any suggestions on how this could be escalated, or steps to taken to get this moving along any quicker? Or even if it is worth sticking it out and wait for it to actually be installed, and if it is what would reasonable compensation be? 

2 REPLIES 2

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Common issue these days.. See this .....

FYI - Re. VM’s recent installation issues - see John’s excellent précis of the situation in message 18 here…

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Multiple-Failed-Installations-zero-commun...

And then re. install compensation - see the Ofcom rules….

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automat...

And Tony’s excellent advice in message 7 here….

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Join-the-club-FAILED-INTERNET-INSTALLATIO...

And an example of >£1300 “bill credit” upon connection.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showpost.php?p=36130259&postcount=1

And, a successful Compo outcome see message 29 …

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Help-please-to-progress-pre-install/td-p/...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Does anyone have any suggestions on how this could be escalated, or steps to taken to get this moving along any quicker?

No.  And to offer a more nuanced and detailed answer, no.  The regulars of this forum have watched in wonder, horror and despair at how VM have managed the pre-pull (and related re-pull) activity for for the past few years.  Nobody at VM can help you.  Nobody at VM knows anything.  Nobody at VM cares.  Nobody at VM can cut through their own North Korean style bureaucracy.  They may be able to offer a hand-wringing apology, and send an email on your behalf to the mythical "area field manager", who in turn is equally unable to help.  They can help your raise a complaint that'll be either completely ignored, or get you a poorly worded fob-off that takes you no further forward. 

The good news is your pre-installation work could be done without notice tomorrow.  The bad news is that the longest known delay reported in this forum was thirteen months.  In some cases VM decide after a few weeks it's all too expensive and they cancel the work altogether (contrary to what you may have been told already).  But you'll get no advance notice (of any reliability) ahead of those three possible outcomes.  The minor and not-really-what-you-want silver lining to the VM cloud is that you're due £5.25 per day for each day between the original installation date and the actual date (or you cancelling in frustration).  Even then VM manage to corrode that silver lining by ignorant call centre staff who don't know the regulations or don't care about them and try to browbeat customers into inadequate settlements or nothing at all, or better educated staff who know the regulations but try an weasel out of the obligations with the local authority permit lie, meaning you need to make a formal complaint to VM, reject their resolution and escalate the complaint to Ombudsman Services.

Or even if it is worth sticking it out and wait for it to actually be installed,

Only you can say, and that depends on what alternatives you have.  

and if it is what would reasonable compensation be? 

There's clear rules, even if VM don't always abide by them.  Note that the compensation is still due if you cancel (up to the date you cancel the order), if VM cancel it's due for a further 30 days beyond the point at which they issue a formal "cease notice" saying they aren't connecting you and won't be paying compensation beyond that 30 addition al days.