cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delay in installation

BigMac55
Tuning in

Hello all!

I recently moved into a new house & purchased my broadband with Virgin. I was initially given 13th April as the date for my installation however that has changed till 25th April. After reading the various issues that people are having with similar installations, will I fall under victim to it or anyway this can be sped up? 

Also will virgin compensate for the delays in installation?

any help would be great!

5 REPLIES 5

jem101
Superstar

‘Will I fall victim to it…..’? Well, you have read the other posts from users who have had similar issues, so will that happen to you, will you beat the record of a year’s delay? Honestly, who can tell?

‘Anyway this can be sped up?’ Sorry but absolutely not. It’ll happen (or not) when it does, you might well be lucky and it happens quickly or possibly it won’t. - again, who can tell?

Now compensation is a bit of an odd one, yes, you should be entitled to a sum for every day that it is delayed - except there are actually all sorts of ‘get out of jail free’ cards at play here, so don’t be too optimistic of a big payout or credit on your future bills.

So, what I would suggest is that you at least make a start on investigating alternative suppliers. Then mentally set yourself a target , ie if VM isn’t installed and working by a certain date then you will sign up with another provider having already worked out what their lead times are etc.

Now if you have read through other similar threads then you are probably aware of my usual advice, but just in case, don’t cancel the VM installation even if you have decided to go elsewhere. If they do install first and it works to your satisfaction then fine, just cancel the other supplier. On the other hand if it doesn’t happen for months, then you allow the install to go ahead, test it and immediately cancel within the 14 day cooling off period. That is no cost to you, but you will know that the cables are all in place and working if you want to give VM another chance in a year or so.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @BigMac55

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Our team will look to have you installed as soon as they possibly can, the install can be delayed due to construction permits or cable repulls being required.

My apologies for the inconvenience

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks for the reply, would you be able to have a look into it please?

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@BigMac55 wrote:

Thanks for the reply, would you be able to have a look into it please?

as said above you will get little to no meaningful info from VM - they are efficient at selling you the product even more efficient at taking your money and totally on the ball if you default on a payment - straight to a debt collection agency and black marks on your credit file before you can blink

but info on your install thats a black hole - if you need a cable pull then that will be a work order to a sub contractor who may well also subcontract it - non of who talk to each other so its silence - if they find a problem pulling the cable then they will invoke the council permit excuse which is said to add 6 weeks even though most councils issue a permit in a few days

in short cable pulls and associated problems can be a shambles - work from that premise and if it works for you be happy

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Hi @BigMac55

I am so sorry for the delay.

I have spoken to my colleague Laura who raised this with the relevant team for you yesterday.

She hasn't had a response as of yet however.

I will send you an private message now so I can get some further details please to allow me to update you here.

Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of the page and pop me a reply when you can. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide