cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delay after delay. Seems such a common story for VM

KevinMoore88
Tuning in

Can anyone from VM on here confirm the reason why my install keeps getting cancelled on the day?

The customer services and pre-install just keep saying "cabling issues" but cannot confirm the actual issue, more irritating is that they keep saying they are awaiting permission from the local council to complete the works. Unfortunately for VM, I have evidence on the last two appointments that permits were fully granted so this is an absolute fabrication of the truth.

I have spoken to so many people on the phone at VM that I am at a loss. Currently had three Engineer home visits cancelled and 25 day delay. Now scheduled 9th of April but I have absolutely no confidence anything different will happen and that's before reading everyone else' stories.

32 REPLIES 32

Hi KevinMoore88,

Thank you for your post. I'm very sorry to hear that your installation is continually being delayed. 

I am more than happy to look into this for you. 

I will private message you to get some details. 

^Martin

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi KevinMoore88,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community!

Martin is currently off so I've assigned this to myself.

I've dropped you a PM so we can run through some further details.

Thanks,

Kain

Thought I'd update this.

Kain is being helpful but unfortunately it seems the notes on the file are incorrect.

Virgin scheduled 26 April -

Cancelled

Rescheduled 11th May.

Original confirmed date : 1st March

New date : 9th May

71 days * £5.04 = £357.84

4x missed manned installs cancelled <24 hours notice = 4 x £25

New Total compensation = £457.84

The way VM operate their "automatic compensation scheme", whatever they decide is due to you will be paid as a credit to a live VM account, meaning you'll see nothing until your first or second bill arrives.  In previous conversations in this forum, the company insist that's how it works, not saying as much, but implying that there's no cash option and that you get nothing if you cancel.  That's not correct, as per para 28 and 30a of the relevant Ofcom Code of Practice on automatic compensation

So if you want to cancel, you'll still be owed the compensation, although because of the apparent way VM have set up their process, I'd expect that to get what you're owed you might need to formally complain to VM.  That might get the right result.  My expectation is that any complaint would be fobbed off with some pidgin English excuse, but that may be unduly gloomy.  If fobbed off you take the matter to CISAS, who will sort the matter (read the scheme guidance carefully).  If you do have to go to CISAS you ask for additional compensation for the stress and inconvenience of each of (a) repeated broken commitments, (b) poor and inaccurate information, (c) failure to handle your complaint properly, and (d) failure to abide by the Ofcom code of practice.

If you do choose to sit it out and have VM connected, but the company then try and wheedle out of their full liability for compensation by offering less than you believe is the appropriate amount (this has happened before), same approach as above - complaint, then CISAS if no progress.

Amazing, thank you for that response Andrew.

Extremely helpful 👌👌

I do still want the connection in all honesty but it this rate little end up that I'm not paying for it 😂

It is feasible to have a VM connection delayed so long that the compensation exceeds the total value of an 18 month contract - obviously depends on the deal you sign up for! 

Some poor beggars have had to wait a year for their connection - if they only got the £5.25, but no broken appointments or other restitution, then that's £1,900......

Hi @KevinMoore88

Thank you for the update.

I can see you have been speaking to Kain by private message.

If you do have any concerns or questions regarding the install/compensation please do pop him a reply and he can assist further for you there.

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

*Update*

You'd never guess it.

They have only gone and bloody rescheduled 😂

25th May.

Another £25 appointment compensation

Plus 16 days x £5.05 = £80.80

New balance

£563.64

Complaint filed, Virgin say response <28 days ago. Nearly 2 weeks over that period with no response.

I'll move it on to CISAS after the next response from the forum team. But I'll be looking for cash payout + extra compensation for the stress and duress I am experiencing.

Wish we luck. I'll keep updating this for the masses with similar issues so you know the outcome.

Well it happened again.

Seems like VM are not even responding to the team on this forum at the moment.

CISAS submitted with extra for stress and duress, oh and being lied to.

Claimed £1096.

Will update in course

Virgin Cancelled my account!

Not that they've officially informed me yet....

Will keep updating, as promised