cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deactivated by someone else requesting to move into my property

Haythorn_1
Tuning in

My internet access has been deactivated due to someone requesting to move into my property. We are expecting to move sometime in the next month but a date has not been set yet. I never instructed VM that i was moving but it seems someone else can start the process for your property.

It was cut off almost a week ago and is taking a very long time to reactivate. I already have a working hub and cable (it has been fine for the past 5 years). So far my timeline has been:

3rd December - Notice that the internet is not working so call VM. Explained that this is because someone has requested to move into the property. They put in a request to correctly it that will take 48hrs.

5th December - Internet is still not working. I call VM and am told that the incorrect request was made on the 3rd.  A new request is raised. Informed this will take 48hrs.

6th December - Receive an email welcoming me to VM and saying an engineer will be around on the 12th December to install my new kit. Call VM to ask why this is the case and am told it is incorrect and the service will be ready the following day.

7th December - Internet is not working. Call again and am told that the request was only made on the 6th and it takes up to 72 hrs (not 48 hrs) so it will be ready on the 9th. 

9th December - Internet is not working. Call again and am told it will be activated on the 12th and if i want it faster i need to speak to the sales team. I was transferred to the sales team and cut off. 

I have already logged a complaint but i have not heard anything yet.

So far I have called VM at least 10 times (i get a text every time i call to persuade me to look on the website to resolve my problem). This seems unbelievably incompetent and I don’t think I am getting any closer to resolving this.

My hub is working as i can see in the status it is online. It just says that my access is denied to the internet.

17 REPLIES 17

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@jpeg1 wrote:

But it's not that "someone has rung in and cancelled someone elses account".

What happened is that a keen sales person has signed up a new account at the address, which has had the effect of cancelling the existing account.  As we know, Virgin has their 14 days break between connections at an address. 

maybe and i dont know the ins and outs of how such things work but is it not the case that if an account is still open at an address but defaulted then a new [potential] customer has to go through hoops before VM will allow sign up - some sort of gone away form

i suspect the difference is in this case the account payments are up to date where as if a user has gone away money is owed so there is some sort of block on the address

whatever how is sending a tech in a week going to solve things

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Haythorn_1
Tuning in

Thanks for all your comments. I agree that it is insane an engineer is needed to fix this.

Some good news, an engineer (Colin) turned up out of the blue this evening to conduct a site visit. It seems he was sent to check the connection prior to installation thinking I was a new customer. I explained the situation and he managed to get me online. Bizarrely all that was needed was him to ring up VM and read the mac address on my original hub. 

Whilst I am happy to now be back online it’s been an arduous process that shouldn’t have needed anyone to come out.

Thanks to Colin though who fixed it considered it wasn’t what he came to do!

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for coming back to us and updating the thread @haythorn_ 1. 

I am really sorry to hear that you have had some issues getting this resolved, please can I ask if you have had an update on your complaint? 

You can check the current status here https://virg.in/mycases

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Hi Zak,

No I haven’t heard any update on my complaint.

Thanks

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Haythorn_1,

I am sorry about that.

I can see your services are back on now, someone should be contact you as soon as possible regarding your complaint on the account.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi VM team, I received the below email regarding my complaint.

Thanks so much for the chat on 21/01/2022. We’re very happy to be able to resolve things for you.

Here's a quick recap

Your complaint was:
Broadband Faults > I have full loss of service 

And here’s what we agreed:
Technical > Fault fixed with technician visit

I have not received a call about my complaint from anyone. Just this email saying it is now closed. It’s laughable really. 

Will I be receiving compensation for your mistaken deactivation and delay in fixing?

Hi @Haythorn_1

I'm really sorry that your complaint was closed without your consent. This is not the process we should follow and I can see from what you have posted that the complaint was closed as agreed rather than having 28 day resolution email/letter, which gives you 28 days to dispute the resolution provided and if we do not hear back in this time, the complaint closes automatically as it is believed to be resolved from the resolution provided.  

My previous forum team member should have also taken ownership of your complaint when they responded so I apologise this process was not followed. I will feed this back as part of the complaint. I will take ownership for you. We'll need to continue this through private message as we'll be discussing account information. Please look out for my PM in your inbox. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thank you @Haythorn_1 for your patience and confirming all the information. I apologise again that it has taken this long to resolve your complaint. I do hope now all is resolved. If you have any further issues or questions please do not hesitate to post to us on the community fourm again. We'll be happy to help. 

All the best,  

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley