Menu
clem8is
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Data Usage

My average usage is less than half of my allowance. Today I get a message to say I've used 80% of my allowance. Having checked there seems to be a sudden peak on one day then goes back to normal. I haven't done anything different in my usage, I don't download films, Tv or anything so am at a loss to explain this sudden spike. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
CybeRocK
Dialled in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Data Usage

Hi, 

This is a long shot but can someone else be using your wifi? Has someone maybe given your wifi password to a neighbour who is picking it up and using it? Maybe a wifi device in your house did a big update? If you're unsure, especially about the neighbour scenario, change the wifi password to be safe. If you're unsure how to do that, reply here and i will guide you through. Make sure you state the version of your modem i. e. Superhub 2, Superhub 3. It's printed on the bottom of the modem

- Although I am a Virgin Media service technician, the responses given on here are from my personal experience in the field and should be taken as such -
0 Kudos
clem8is
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Thanks for that, I did wonder about that but unless they can get into wifi without a password (I live alone & would have to investigate to find my password & definitely haven't given it to anyone). I have very little on wifi - printer,laptop or smart meter, so can't think they could suddenly have used so much, Could it be a fault at Virgin?

0 Kudos
CybeRocK
Dialled in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It's extremely unlikely something on virgin's end to cause your usage to spike. if you don't want to change the wifi password yet maybe you should monitor it for the next month and see if it spikes again and if it does, you should definitely change your password 🙂

- Although I am a Virgin Media service technician, the responses given on here are from my personal experience in the field and should be taken as such -
0 Kudos
clem8is
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I'll do that & see if it happens again & change passwords (if I can find it!)
0 Kudos
CybeRocK
Dialled in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If you can't just post on here and I'll do my best to help you 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
pid16v
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I've had the exact same email for the same reason for the second time in the last couple of months. Steady average usage then BAM! 19Gb in one day???. I phoned VM last time to try and get some explanation or help but i may as well have been talking to a wall. Today i phoned again about the latest spike, and again i get some guy i can hardly understand who seems to be trying to sell me an upgrade. He told me he doesn't have the authority to speak to me regarding MY usage so i asked to speak to somebody who does have the authority. I am currently waiting for a "Broadband expert" to call me back, 7 hours later!

0 Kudos
clem8is
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If you do get an explanation, let me know - I think it's a glitch in their system!

pid16v
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I'm still waiting for the promised callback
0 Kudos
Mbakiinidame
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

hello .. today i got this message:-you have hit your spending cap, which will reset on your next refresh. Head to virginmedia.com/changespendcap to login and change it.

I have allowance of 2GB and carried forward 2GB meaning i have used almost 4GB . I rarely use my phone and previously 2GB has been excess for me with other suppliers. How do i check my usage ?? Mind you i am new with virgin and their tricks..

0 Kudos