Menu
Reply
  • 10
  • 0
  • 0
tayloredd
Joining in
485 Views
Message 11 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Damage to property


@chenks wrote:
i can see the crack, and i'm surprised that the work has caused such a long crack along, what looks like, the full length of the drive.

i can't see that being something the contractor can or could fix.


It is not the full length of the driveway and thank you for your professional opinion I assume you are a driveway specialist. Or in some way a genie who knows my driveway and or road I live in or the extent the depths the digger digging fibre cables can are cannot cause structural cracks in my driveway. Please do not reply as your arrogance is not helpful in the slightest!  

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 3.42K
  • 193
  • 559
chenks
Wise owl
477 Views
Message 12 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Damage to property

i was just commenting on what i saw.
i just said i was surprised of the damage, not that i was saying your story was codswallop.

as i, and another has said, quickest way to get some feedback is to speak to the contractors.
second point is to complain to the council who issued the permit for the works to be carried out.

lodging an offical complaint with virgin would be your last option, as any feedback will take a long time (going by previous reports).
0 Kudos
Reply
  • 12.97K
  • 993
  • 2.98K
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
474 Views
Message 13 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Damage to property

wait for VM to get to the thread - that should be here in a day or so

the forum is mainly users helping other users - there is a presence from VM but its not somewhere you would register a complaint like this afaik - see what they say when they get here - you will get nowhere on the phone 

i still say you need to register this with the contractors - they and VM should be insured - not something you take photos of normally but if you have any of the drive before the crack dig them out

____________________

Tony
  • 10
  • 0
  • 0
tayloredd
Joining in
468 Views
Message 14 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Damage to property


@chenks wrote:
i was just commenting on what i saw.
i just said i was surprised of the damage, not that i was saying your story was codswallop.

as i, and another has said, quickest way to get some feedback is to speak to the contractors.
second point is to complain to the council who issued the permit for the works to be carried out.

lodging an offical complaint with virgin would be your last option, as any feedback will take a long time (going by previous reports).

Thank you, in all honesty I didn’t know this was a forum, I actually thought i was messaging virgin!

appreciate your feedback and like you I was surprised at what I came home to. As was my wife and to the extent that the damage was.. We have cracks in the rest of the drive (that have weeds in as they’ve been there for some time) when you notice a new one like this it’s quite apparent and stands out! I’m fuming that there’s “another” crack and also with the cowboys that laid it in the last as the quoted 6/8 inches of concrete was absolute codswallop. However this new crack appeared today and I am fully aware that it was the digging that has caused it.

 

again thank you. 

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 4.47K
  • 302
  • 749
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
440 Views
Message 15 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Damage to property

If the digging caused the crack then VM is responsible. However as many of these concrete driveways are installed on the cheap and are prone to cracking, the permanent solution may be to rip it out and have the job done properly - but VM certainly won't pay for all of this.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Reply
  • 10
  • 0
  • 0
tayloredd
Joining in
429 Views
Message 16 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Damage to property

100% VM are responsible as the cat or my wife and I walking over it weren’t.. 

Agreed they’re laid shockingly but defo not on the cheap I can assure you... £4K is not cheap from my point of view and strangely the driveway which isn’t even driven on as 1) we can’t get a car to it as it’s not roadside (mad I know but we aren’t keen Gardeners) 2) when I did the nosey neighbour decided to kick off! I don’t need to rip it up I just need the crack filled and re surfaced ✌🏼

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 11.8K
  • 1.08K
  • 2.56K
griffin
Alessandro Volta
432 Views
Message 17 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Damage to property

I would be very surprised if that crack was caused by the digging of the trench as the crack is running the wrong way.

If the sides of the trench were unstable the stress lines would form parallel to the trench, not perpendicular to the trench.

That looks like a reflective crack to me where the block paviours have been bedded on concrete or cement and the rigid bed has cracked parallel to a line of applied force and cracked the blocks as well.

It is very unusual to see block paviours crack like that as they should be laid on a semi flexible sand bed to allow slight movement of the blocks with with silver sand infill any cracks should run along the joints, so are easily repairable with a dressing of silver sand.

I can't remember seeing 85mm block paviours crack like that in my 40 years experience as a Civil Engineer, I have seen a lot of block paving being laid on private and commercial roads.

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 12.97K
  • 993
  • 2.98K
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
430 Views
Message 18 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Damage to property

@griffin 

its not block paving - the front row is - the rest is concrete that has been grid marked to look like paving - my guess is that its no foundation and is effectively floating - digging the trench will likely have let some of the foundation move - the weight of the concrete did the rest

 

____________________

Tony
0 Kudos
Reply
  • 10
  • 0
  • 0
tayloredd
Joining in
429 Views
Message 19 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Damage to property


@griffin wrote:

I would be very surprised if that crack was caused by the digging of the trench as the crack is running the wrong way.

If the sides of the trench were unstable the stress lines would form parallel to the trench, not perpendicular to the trench.

That looks like a reflective crack to me where the block paviours have been bedded on concrete or cement and the rigid bed has cracked parallel to a line of applied force and cracked the blocks as well.

It is very unusual to see block paviours crack like that as they should be laid on a semi flexible sand bed to allow slight movement of the blocks with with silver sand infill any cracks should run along the joints, so are easily repairable with a dressing of silver sand.

I can't remember seeing 85mm block paviours crack like that in my 40 years experience as a Civil Engineer, I have seen a lot of block paving being laid on private and commercial roads.


Well done griffin but it’s not block paving!! In your 40 years experience you haven’t seen printed driveways...  do me a favour you sound very intelligent but not your expertise I imagine in printed driveways!! 

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 10
  • 0
  • 0
tayloredd
Joining in
424 Views
Message 20 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Damage to property

 


@-tony- wrote:

@griffin 

its not block paving - the front row is - the rest is concrete that has been grid marked to look like paving - my guess is that its no foundation and is effectively floating - digging the trench will likely have let some of the foundation move - the weight of the concrete did the rest

 


Thank you Tony!! Someone who has read the thread and is up to date with modern methods of creating certain looks!

 

my guess is that yes whilst it may have not been a perfect job (but has been fine for 4 years) when they have dug the trenches is has caused stress fractures leading to cracking, all the way down to the middle of my drive! 

0 Kudos
Reply