Menu
crok
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Damage to BT extensions during installation

I had cable broadband fitted the week before last and have been on holiday since.  On returning, I have noticed that I have lost my phone connection on all sockets in my house apart from the master socket (on a BT line), which is right next to the point where the cable comes into the house.  The extensions are integral to the house (which is a new build) so the wiring is behind the walls.

I am assuming that the engineer damaged the line between the master socket and the extensions; my question is who I should contact to get it fixed.  On the one hand, it is not a Virgin Media phone line but on the other, the damage will be behind the Cable socket, which I doubt that BT (or an independent electrician) will want to touch.

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Damage to BT extensions during installation

BT won't touch it as they are only responsible for the BT master socket, which is working.
i doubt virgin will do anything about it unless you have hard evidence to prove it was caused during the installation.

quickest option is get your own local comms guy out to look at it (not an electrician but a network comms guy).
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hello Crok, thank you for your post.

Can I please just confirm with you, was this a Virgin Media installation in question? As the phone line for Virgin Media would be a different socket and wiring to the BT line.

Are you keeping your phone line active with BT or have you also moved this to our services? 

Let us know so we can look into this further for you.

Thank you, Emily.

0 Kudos
crok
Joining in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply.  To clarify, this was a cable broadband installation by Virgin Media but I am keeping my existing phone line with BT.  The damage has occurred between the master socket (which was fitted by BT) and the additional sockets throughout the house (which were fitted during its construction).

Both the BT phone line and the Virgin Media cable enter the house at the front; the people who built the house designed it such that the master socket could be used by either provider.  Given the adjacency of the two connection, it is quite possible that fitting the cable has disrupted the wiring internal to the house.

I have attached photos showing the proximity of the two points, both outside and inside the house.

CableOutside.jpgCableInside.jpg

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

When providing services to a property we would be unable to use the same socket as BT as they both have separate ownership and internal designs, we are only required to fit or fix our own socket and wiring if needed and would not be liable to touch any other wiring or sockets in the property in regards to installing services. 

If the extensions were provided by BT they may be liable to fix these however, we are not liable to work on any wiring not owned by ourselves. 

^Em

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@Emily_G even if the VM installer damaged them during your install?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

During your install the engineer would have given you a sheet to sign after you're happy the work is done which included a list of checks, did you go through this and sign this at the end of the visit?

When our engineers do any work on a property they're not liable to work on any cabling which is not ours, so this engineer would not have done anything with the extension in regards to the install work needed.

Thank you, Emily.

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax wrote:
@Emily_Geven if the VM installer damaged them during your install?

proving it is another matter though

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

so its not possible to damage a cable working 10cm from the cable.
I think your missing the point here

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax wrote:
so its not possible to damage a cable working 10cm from the cable.
I think your missing the point here

responding to me?

never said it's not possible, just saying that proving the viring install caused it might be tricky 2 weeks down the line since the install took place.
and there is no point being missed, the extensions are currently not working, they are fed off the BT master socket, the virgin socket is next to the bt master sockets - those are the facts.

0 Kudos