cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DC power for FTTP connection

nodmod
Tuning in

Hello

I need to connect the power for the FTTP connection for the COEX lead to a DC 12v supply, currently, I have this connected to a standard UK 3-pin plug.

The reason for wanting to do this is that I want to connect all of my wifi appliances to a UPS to keep the WiFi on should I experience a power outage. The main VM Hub and other wiring devices are now connected to a DC 12v supply, but I cannot get the FTTP connected to a DC 12v supply, so when a power outage occurs I lose the internet as the FTTP connection is offline, WiFI remains on as the VM Hub is functioning via the UPS.

Can anyone suggest how I can get an DC power adapter for the FTTP connection?

Thanks

20220211_162905.jpgIMG_2088.jpgIMG_2089.jpg

32 REPLIES 32

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If your RCD is tripping a lot unfortunately there is no easy way to find the cause. It will cost some money, but by far the best way is to replace the RCD with an isolator switch and each MCB with a RCBO. RCBOs are an RCD and a MCB combined into one unit. This way if there is a fault on one circuit only the individual RCBO will trip. I had a problem with trips some time ago and replaced my RCD. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

@nodmod wrote:

Update on my setup and question.

Today the VM engineers came and removed the FTTP booster as it was not required as my signal was strong enough, so now I have a complete (in-house) failover system where if I lose power the VM hub, Netgear Orbi router and network hub remain online via the UPS keeping my signal online whilst I have ample time to correct and restore the on-house power.

You didn't have an FTTP booster, pretty sure it was an HDU. Anyway, its removal has simplified your system.

You have FTTP so your upstream cable is connected to a VHUB via an unpowered distribution cabinet. The VHUB is powered by a nearby power cabinet which I'm fairly sure has a battery backup for the VHUB.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

CrapShark
Tuning in

Sorry to revive this thread for my own selfish purposes!  nodmod, I'm trying to power my VM Hub 3 from a DC UPS just like you do.  I was even looking at the same UPS you have.  But I wasn't sure whether the barrel plug would fit the Hub 3.  Barrel plugs are very much not standardised - the Hub4 uses a different one to the Hub3 for example - and I want to be sure I buy something that will work.  So... which version of VM Hub do you have?

Martyn
Up to speed

I was in the same boat as you, and wanted to setup a UPS for my networking, but I've had zero power issues since living here so decided against it, but what I went to go for is these

https://amzn.to/43tZsXd

Martyn_0-1685229905738.jpeg

you can find them on eBay so much cheaper too, they seem to use little motorbike batteries, so fairly easy to come across too. 

Connection: Virgin FTTP Gig2 (XGSPON)

Man they ruined your brick! glad I did my preinstallation work lol.

Martyn_2-1685230375982.jpeg

Connection: Virgin FTTP Gig2 (XGSPON)

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That APC UPS is exactly the one I have been using for years, and only had to replace the battery once.  My area when I moved in suffered from "brown outs" and this UPS worked brilliantly.  It even emailed me to let me know it had kicked in ! 

Easy to install and really fit and forget.  I know it doesn't help in a major power outage all over, but it works great as a power "smoother".

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Martyn, I've already got one of those!  Exactly that form-factor too.  It sits on a shelf in my home office, powering my router and Synology NAS boxes.  But my Hub (in Modem Mode) is constrained to live where the VM coax comes in - my living room.  I want something less big and ugly for there, and the inefficiency of a 12V DC battery driving an inverter to 230V AC only to be converted back to 12V DC offends me.  A little DC UPS would be perfect, especially since it only has to power the Hub 3 in modem mode (no power-draining Wi-Fi).

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@CrapShark wrote:

Martyn, I've already got one of those!  Exactly that form-factor too.  It sits on a shelf in my home office, powering my router and Synology NAS boxes.  But my Hub (in Modem Mode) is constrained to live where the VM coax comes in - my living room.  I want something less big and ugly for there, and the inefficiency of a 12V DC battery driving an inverter to 230V AC only to be converted back to 12V DC offends me.  A little DC UPS would be perfect, especially since it only has to power the Hub 3 in modem mode (no power-draining Wi-Fi).

Just to point out that if you are on a VM HFC network (incoming from the cabinet to the house is coaxial) then having a UPS driving the Virgin hub is pretty pointless, as there are no backup power units driving the coax cabinet amps. The same is true of most RFoG installations VM have. The new XGS-PON installations will have backup power.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hello, I have a Hub3
IMG_4416.jpegIMG_4417.jpeg

My power outages are mostly local, caused by tradespeople working on my house.  Full-scale the-whole-neighbourhood-goes-dark power cuts are very rare here in inner London.