cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DC power for FTTP connection

nodmod
Tuning in

Hello

I need to connect the power for the FTTP connection for the COEX lead to a DC 12v supply, currently, I have this connected to a standard UK 3-pin plug.

The reason for wanting to do this is that I want to connect all of my wifi appliances to a UPS to keep the WiFi on should I experience a power outage. The main VM Hub and other wiring devices are now connected to a DC 12v supply, but I cannot get the FTTP connected to a DC 12v supply, so when a power outage occurs I lose the internet as the FTTP connection is offline, WiFI remains on as the VM Hub is functioning via the UPS.

Can anyone suggest how I can get an DC power adapter for the FTTP connection?

Thanks

20220211_162905.jpgIMG_2088.jpgIMG_2089.jpg

32 REPLIES 32

Currently I have only tried a full blackout for a few mins as the FTTP connection still needs to be connected to the mains, but the VM Hub, Orbi Wifi and network router stay online and allow wired internet and wifi internet connectivity.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

It would be interesting to know how long it lasts under real load conditions. The Amazon reviews about it are mixed in regards to capacity. Also check out the electrical current requirements of your equipment and make sure your power backup device is capable of supplying the load (esp. if you are leaving it on for an extended period of time during day/night). The Amazon images show the 12V outputs as only being 1A capacity supplies. Good luck with getting it all working.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

We've got a large ups which under test has run our internal network for over two hours and will probably do more. But when the street cabinet goes down, as it will, we'll be relying on 5g. 

We are near a major EE network hub, which I suspect will have backup power, but with everyone tethering their phones for data it will probably be very slow. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Interestingly mine is one of these and it's 12v. I'm considering a similar DC UPS setup so looks like this might be easier.

shadowinthevoid_0-1663676537957.jpeg

I planned on doing something similar to OP but soon discovered, like OP, there is no way to power the FTTP node without some bodge job and I certainly wasn't going that way.

In the end I just purchased a standard UPS with uk sockets on it and used an extension lead for the hub, router, node power injector, tv box and phone. Works great but at the time I wasn't sure what would happen on VMs side in the event of a power cut..

But as luck would have it, yesterday we had a power cut with over 600 properties affected, the UPS kicked in and everything remained up and we still had internet access! It was bit creepy seeing only my router online, more annoying was some local devices/or people were trying to get online via my router, even with WIFI security/wpa3 enabled.

TV, Phone and Broadband using the Hub 3.0 in modem mode, with a Newifi D2 running Openwrt (FTTP/RFoG).

Update on my setup and question.

Today the VM engineers came and removed the FTTP booster as it was not required as my signal was strong enough, so now I have a complete (in-house) failover system where if I lose power the VM hub, Netgear Orbi router and network hub remain online via the UPS keeping my signal online whilst I have ample time to correct and restore the on-house power.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

That's always providing of course that the street cabinet's power stays on. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

nodmod

It sounds like from your last post that you don't have RFoG/FTTP at all but ye 'ol coax that did require a signal booster.

RFoG/FTTP requires a powered converter node to work & the box on your house would look like this.

From my experience (as above) If the power goes down in the area generally the connection will stay up when powered by a UPS.

If the box on your house does not look like the above and is much smaller, then what jpeg1 states is true. But you'll only know if the the cabinet has backup power when you need it most :(.

TV, Phone and Broadband using the Hub 3.0 in modem mode, with a Newifi D2 running Openwrt (FTTP/RFoG).

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

HFC networks don't have a battery backup for Broadband or TV, only for the legacy telephone services. So for your services to remain online during a power cut the Fibre node & any intermediate mains powered coax cabinets must also remain powered.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

My goal with this setup was to provide an in-house backup only, externally is out of my control. I was/am suffering from power outages from my consumer unit main switch tripping, sometimes multiple times a day, sometimes it does not happen for days/weeks, very challenging to identify the cause, but of cause when this happens I lose the VM network and Wifi causing problems for working from home. Of course, now that I have done all this work we're had no power outages for a few weeks now 🙂