Menu
FearMor
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

DC Extension Cable

I have Virgin Media Broadband service and when it works, it's very good. However, they've sent me a new router (Hub 3.0) and it seems to disconnect itself every Sunday though I don't know why. To fire it up again I have to go to the router and reset it. This is a pain as the router is in an inaccessable place in our house. I therefore want to extend the DC power supply cable from the power supply to the router. Extension cables can be bought on Ebay but I need to know the size (external and internal diameter) of the plug that goes into the router. Can anyone kindly help?

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: DC Extension Cable

Why not plug your hub into a smart WiFi plug? You can then remotely turn it on and off via a mobile phone app. I have the TP-Link HS100 which connects on the 2.4Ghz band.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@FearMor wrote:

Are you saying you want to reposition the Hub in your house?  If so, you need to get VM to do that (cost £99) as their cables/connectors/etc., are not available on eBay, or anywhere else.  Also, adding extra length to them may alter the power levels at the Hub that will require a technician's visit to adjust.  Apologies if I have misinterpreted what you are trying to do.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Wifi plugs when the hub is down? Not sure that will work LOL.

you can get remote RF ones though https://www.amazon.co.uk/Status-Remote-Control-Socket-White/dp/B00NMD4QL6/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=15...

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tudor
Hero
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I found their were only two sizes of plug on these extension cables on Amazon and as they are so cheap I just bought both for the project I was working on. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos