Menu
louis-m
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Credit where it's due

I've recently switched from Zen (VDSL) to Virgin Media Business.

Looking at forums, I was a little concerned about the issues that users where facing with the VMB/Hitron and was wondering if I had made the right decision. Time will tell with that one as it's early days yet.

Needless to say, I am pleased with the following:

1. Order process - was easy and quick. As the premise had the cable previously installed, from the point of ordering to installation was less than 7 days. That's quick!

2. Install went fine. I would say that this was a newish engineer and he wasn't too clued clued up on networking and subnets etc although this was the first block of statics he had done.

The install went smooth and once the GRE tunnel was up, the IP's were there.

3. Connection - Hasn't dropped since it was turned on so is steady although it's early days

4. Speed/bandwidth - the bit I was concerned about. I'm getting 300mb/20mb on option 3 so I'm happy. Latency is fine too.

5. Billing - Got to be setup yet so waiting on this.

6. Support - I emailed VMB for a PTR/rDNS change and they changed this within an hour or so so happy with this.

Overall, I know forums tend to have people who do suffer issues but sometimes it's nice to see some posts from some satisfied customers so here I am.

Impressed at the moment so thank you Virgin Media. Keep up the good work.

0 Kudos
dnpark38
Well-informed
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Credit where it's due

Good to hear so are you recommending us to change?

That's presuming a business product can be supplied to domestic home users as you might be on a different cables.

VM 50 Mps Broadband and anytime phone.
0 Kudos
louis-m
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I wouldn't say I'm recommending it. Just talking about my experience.

With regards to home users, they generally wouldn't need the VMB side of things and the home packages would suffice.

If you have it installed already then there's no better person than yourself to know of your experiences with VM and what they offer.

0 Kudos
dnpark38
Well-informed
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'm happy with my VM now at 11 months of my 12 month contract, I have yet to be advised of what they propose to offer me in a months time.

I can of course see from these forums if things go wrong they go wrong big time.

My alternative is Open Reach with their broken network that I was with and they refuse to replace to me.

But I heard there is a third way coming to have the internet at high speed.

0 Kudos
louis-m
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

A third way? Are you referring to 5G or FTTP?

Personally, I think VM have a lot more gas in their tank with DOCSIS 3.1 etc. Problem is, why would they roll it out until the competition is there?

FTTP will eventually come and as it does, I think you will see VM increase their bandwidths in line with the competition. A lot of their hard work was done in the early day with the actual laying of the infrastructure and that investment will pay off this side as the speeds increase.

0 Kudos
dnpark38
Well-informed
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

No not the FTTP Open reach told me they not going to do that to me and all they will ever do for me is FTTC and the terrible copper wire I have.

What I've heard is coming is a firm called Hyperoptic with a fiber network.  I've been unable to register my interest because I have to be a mobile phone user.

0 Kudos
louis-m
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hyperoptic is FTTP and it will probably use Openreach's infrastructure right up to the cabinet. From there, the fibre will be laid to the premise.

Now when Hyperoptic do go in that area and people start jumping accross from VM, watch VM's response. They will be able to increase at the drop of a hat and probably just need a replacement modem. And VM will not be sitting on their laurels at the moment. They will be more than aware of the threat of FTTP and will be ready for it.

0 Kudos
dnpark38
Well-informed
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@louis-m wrote:

Hyperoptic is FTTP and it will probably use Openreach's infrastructure right up to the cabinet. From there, the fibre will be laid to the premise.

Well then will not be made available to me, shame that had been given impression would be a third network.

0 Kudos
louis-m
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If it's in the area, they will offer it. They will use Openreach to the nearest node/cabinet and then actual fibre from that to your premise (hence FTTP)

And it will be faster and better quality for sure. So keep your eye out. That being said, when it arrives, ask VM what they can do for you now that the competition is in the area.

I'm sure they would rather have users on their network at an elevated spped rather than everybody leaving in droves because once they've left, they ain't exactly coming back within a few months etc so it's revenue that's lost for a year at least. Also, once people get FTTP, they probably won't switch back unless there's a fianancial/speed incentive. From a business point of view, VM should offer that incentive to existing customers prior to, or the minute FTTP is in your area and tie you into an additional 12 month contract to keep you with them. New customers should be given a price/speed incentive to sign up.

0 Kudos