cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couple of questions re: installation

inbetweendays
On our wavelength

Hi there

I have recently ordered the ultimate volt package with an installation date in May when my Sky contract expires.  I have a couple of questions in regards to my installation:

1) The people that had the house before us obviously had VM (or probably NTL) installed as there is wiring from the street into the house (i.e. a brown box on our wall) and wires going into the house through the air brick/vent.  There is, however, but no wall socket inside.  We have been in the house over 15 years and can't seem to recall there being one when we moved in.  Would this mean I need a pre-install visit?

2) Following on from the above- given that the cable running from the street under our front garden is probably 17+ years old- is it likely to need replaced and if so does that mean digging up the garden or will it be done by a cable pull I have seen mentioned.  Again would this mean I need a pre-install visit?

Cheers

2 REPLIES 2

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

1 - There may not be a socket, just a trailing wire, as not all properties had a socket.  But if you can't find the end of the cable, it's probably been cut and a manned install will be required.

2 - No, the wire will be usable, so no need to replace it.  My install would be similar age and it's a pretty much perfect connection.

Do not cancel your existing ISP however, until VM is actually installed and working. as it may be delayed.  Also make good use of the 14 day cooling off period to test the circuit, as once that's passed you are locked in for 18 months.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks Adduxi

Can't find the end of the wire that comes in (it maybe under the floorboards?) and whilst I have cancelled my Sky TV I am keeping the broadband and phone until VM is up and running and OK