cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cooling off period & charged!

Carolinelawes
Joining in

Hi, Joined VM in December, recieved the kit, couldn't get connected, so we cancelled it whilst on the phone to VM. So obviously within the 14 days cooling off period. 

Heard from VM to collect the equipment on Feb 1st. Today I recieve a bill for £70! Supposedly coming out my bank on Feb 10th. My bank will NOT be allowing that.

Obviously VM won't be getting a penny out of me, but can't get through on the phone, so how do I get in touch with them? Is there an email contact option?

Many thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Unfortunately it is best to let the money come out of your account and claim it back if it is taken. The reason for this is that VM accounts would be quick in saying your account is overdue and would probably put a marker on your account with the credit reference agencies. This is difficult to get removed, even if it is incorrect, and it would be a lot of hassle. 

A VM staff member will get to your post in a day or two and should;ld be able to help.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Um, I think not. 

Managed to ge through on the phone in the end. Was assured that we owe nothing & they won't be taking the direct debit.

I double checked by contacting my bank & they said there is a direct debit set up with Virgin media so we can cancel it if you like. So I said yep. She said they shouldn't be able to take anything now. 

Keep an eye on things, because it is not infrequent to hear from customers who've been told one thing by VM's poor customer service agents, but the necessary change isn't then made on the billing systems.  If VM try and collect a payment, with the DD cancelled the collection request will be stopped, but the process of marking your credit file and putting the (disputed) debt into a debt collection process will be entirely automatic by VM's systems.  Nobody will check against the account or call recordings.  If that applies, then you'll need to use VM's complaints process (and possibly the industry adjudication scheme) to get things set right, and we will be happy to explain that - if it comes to that.

If you hear nothing from anybody, then hopefully all is good, but you should still wait a couple of months and check your credit history with the likes of Experian and the other two major credit reference agencies.  VM have "previous form" for beggaring up people's credit history.