cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract Ended. Moving Cable

Wildman10
On our wavelength

A near neighbour, let's call her A (no names, no pack drill), died 6 months ago and her son, knowing I'm with VM, has just asked me for help.

A was with VM and the contract was cancelled on her death.  Her service had 2 cables coming out a tube on the side of the pavement, running under the flower bed on the line between her neighbouring semi and ending in splitters within a brown box for each property attached to her neighbour's porch. one cable runs from her brown box run through a front window to the router and a second cable runs the length of the house, along a side wall and then enters the house for a TV box connection.

A's neighbour switched to Sky.  Its technician apparently pulled up both cables from the flower bed and removed the brown boxes from the porch wall despite A's being attached to her side of the porch party wall straddling the boundary line.  The brown box now just rests on the concrete in front of A's door.  The cables are covered by green conduit for only the first few inches, practically all the run being naked cable.

As getting Sky to sort the issues it's caused is likely to be a PITA, I'm happy to help the son by burying the cable and refitting the box to the porch wall on the basis that if he sells the house then potential buyers will be none the wiser and any new provide will sort out any issues.  However, I won't do anything if my work will contravene any of VM's rights.

Please will someone advise me if:

a. I can legally move/rebury the cable and refix the brown box.

b.  VM or another provider is likely to charge for doing the work when a new service is provided.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jem101
Superstar

Since the contact has now been cancelled, VM have no rights over the cabling and you can do whatever you see fit (or at least the current owner of the property sees fit) - ideally bury it and refit the box properly, that way should the current of future owner want VM’s services then the cabling will be there and intact.

In theory though, it would be perfectly OK to cut the whole lot away and dump it - however that may mean that the property is regarded as ‘unserviceable’ in future which may or may not be a detriment.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

1 REPLY 1

jem101
Superstar

Since the contact has now been cancelled, VM have no rights over the cabling and you can do whatever you see fit (or at least the current owner of the property sees fit) - ideally bury it and refit the box properly, that way should the current of future owner want VM’s services then the cabling will be there and intact.

In theory though, it would be perfectly OK to cut the whole lot away and dump it - however that may mean that the property is regarded as ‘unserviceable’ in future which may or may not be a detriment.