Menu
NotMe
Tuning in
Message 1 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Contacting Virgin

I have a problem with virgin broadband: it's very slow (less than 1% of the theoretical speed[1]) and so intermittent that many things are simply timing out, and phone (VOIP) has become unusable.

So I tried to contact Virgin.  First online, where it tells me their support team are unavailable (yes, this is within the opening hours advertised - most recently today about 15:20).  Then by (mobile) 'phone, where after 4 minutes of menus it puts me indefinitely on hold.  Then today I went in person into a Virgin shop, where the staff could (or would) do absolutely nothing, and wouldn't even let me try to 'phone customer support from there.

How the **** do I contact them?

I have just now taken the precaution of cancelling my direct debit.  Maybe that'll prompt them to contact me?

[1] e.g. http://www.speedtest.net/result/6991612663 , http://www.speedtest.net/result/7004521118

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Re: Contacting Virgin

cancelling your DD will do nothing other than affect your credit rating and put any debt out for collection - your choice but never a good idea

you have contacted them by posting here - it takes them about a week to get to threads - in the mean time post some info

are you testing wired or wireless - always test wired 

log into superhub - 192.168.0.1 - DON'T SIGN IN, click router status [top right] - and post the downstream and upstream figures

Tony
NotMe
Tuning in
Message 3 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tony.  Yes, I'm at my desk, working wired (I use wireless too, but not for things like speedtest).  Both are equally affected.

Sadly this editor won't accept cut&paste from my router's status pages.  Well, actually it looks fine when I paste it in and in preview, but then rejects it when I try to post.  I may try again later, but not now.

I could add my earlier experience of Virgin failing here, especially https://bahumbug.wordpress.com/2014/07/24/cut-off-again/

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 33
Flag for a moderator

just post the figures - dont worry about the format people are used to reading them

Tony
0 Kudos
NotMe
Tuning in
Message 5 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Well, my broadband appears to be back.  In fact, it's faster than it's ever been before, or than I ever asked for: http://www.speedtest.net/result/7040027720 .  In fact I seem to recollect that when the man from Virgin came to install my kit for a 30 Mb/s connection, he mentioned explicitly throttling something back for that.

That (still) doesn't resolve the issue of contacting Virgin.  If it's pure coincidence that they fixed it after my attempts to contact them. that leaves me in limbo again next time something fails.  Alternatively, if something I did (like my session with their menus from the mobile phone, or my posting here) prompted them to fix it silently, that's an extremely unsatisfactory way to treat clients.

Either way, there needs to be a way to contact Virgin and get either a fix or at least an acknowledgement that a fault has been logged and will be checked out, rather than leave a customer in limbo!  Not to mention an acknowledgement of known faults on Virgin's status pages (this fault may have been unknown to Virgin until my attempts to contact them, but the one that led to my blog post referenced above was certainly known to them).

Tony, do you act for Virgin here, or am I still completely un-acknowledged by the company?

0 Kudos
cje85
Super solver
Message 6 of 33
Flag for a moderator

wrote:

Thanks Tony.  Yes, I'm at my desk, working wired (I use wireless too, but not for things like speedtest).  Both are equally affected.

Sadly this editor won't accept cut&paste from my router's status pages.  Well, actually it looks fine when I paste it in and in preview, but then rejects it when I try to post.  I may try again later, but not now.

Just click post a second time when the formatting error appears. It will go through then.

As you haven't actually been able to contact VM any fix will just be a coincidence. 

It can take 7-10 days for staff to respond on this forum but it's the best way to contact for VM for non-urgent support.

NotMe
Tuning in
Message 7 of 33
Flag for a moderator

No contact here after two and a half weeks. Perhaps I have to go to ofcom?
0 Kudos
NotMe
Tuning in
Message 8 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Seems I can't reply to their email, either. So for the record, here's what I just tried to send. There's a "contact us" link in their email, but that just brings me straight back here!

On Fri, 16 Feb 2018 14:50:08 +0000
"Virgin Media" <Letters@virginmediacollections.co.uk> wrote:

> Important information about your Virgin Media Account
>
> Account Number: ********
> Overdue Balance: £33.23

I have no idea if this address reaches a real human, but
I shall reply in the hope that it does.

I need to be able to contact Virgin Media concerning my
service. I have tried in various ways, without success.
Please see my thread at
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Contacting-Virgin/td-p/3638012

At the time of the original problem, or probably even of
that post, I'd have accepted being able to get through to
a call centre droid. I think now it's gone beyond that,
and I'd be looking to speak to a real person, and to
get at least an apology for the lack of service.
0 Kudos
vircom
Super solver
Message 9 of 33
Flag for a moderator

The only official ways to contact Virgin media are given by clicking on the contact us link at the bottom of the page. These are phone, web chat and good old pen and paper. email contact is actively discourage ie no email addresses are published. As you and many others have found, these routes often result in difficulty and long delays. Posting your problem on this forum will usually result in a response from the VM forum team after about a week but that is not ideal if your service is down.

A cynic might conclude they do not want to make it easy and do not want you to have any record of their statements, but surely that is just being paranoid?
NotMe
Tuning in
Message 10 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Unbelievable!

They've just ticked another box in a diabolical blame game.

That is to say, half an hour ago, I got a call to my mobile 'phone, showing the caller as Virgin Media. When I answered, it wasn't a human, but a robotic voice asking questions to answer on the keypad.

Question 1: am I me? Press 1 for yes. OK so far.
Question 2: enter some password. Erm, wth? Even if I had a clue what password they're talking about, how likely is it I'd have it to hand at the moment they call me?

So now they've ticked a box. Call the customer, check. Customer confirms identity, check. But customer hangs up. How many customers could hope to explain that to any kind of adjudicator without appearing now to be firmly in the wrong?
0 Kudos