Menu
andy_1988
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Construction Delay

I recently moved house. I had VM broadband at my previous house and was told by VM that I could move my connection to my new house as the new area was already hooked-up and ready for VM broadband. An installation date of 6th August was agreed which came and went, all I can see that resulted from the installation day was a green arrow outside my house.

I called and was told that construction work was required and so my installation would be delayed. I was told that I should order a 4G internet dongle to provide me with internet in the meantime and that VM would contribute £50 to the cost (I've since figured out this isn't enough for my data requirements) and that the £50 would be added as credit to my account.

A week passes and no more information so I tried to contact them again.

I tried to contact VM by phone and on "online chat", neither have been fruitful. When I contact them via "chat" I get told that I need to speak to the construction team by phone. When I phone they put me on hold for anywhere between 15mins and 30mins before the line goes dead.

I put in a formal complaint. I received a call from the complaints team, I went through security only for the complaints team representative to tell me that I needed to speak to the construction team and that they would call me back. They haven't.

The latest information I have received is that the construction will take between 6 and 8 weeks. I've asked about compensation (£5 per day under the voluntary OFCOM agreement they have signed-up to) but no one will confirm this to me; I'm always told that another elusive would call me to discuss this - obviously this hasn't happened. 

I still don't have an installation date, I still don't even know when the construction work will take place. I've asked if I can just take the money they owe me and switch to a new provider, but they tell me that the money can only be used as VM credit.

Short of calling every day in an attempt to find out a date and sitting on hold only to be hung-up on, what else can I do?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Construction Delay

Hi andy_1988,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I am sorry for the service install delay. 

Regarding the automatic compensation, all install dates are pre-install dates, so unfortunately you'd not be entitled to this credit.

Hopefully the construction is fixed soon, so we can get you installed.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Construction Delay

6 to 8 weeks usually means its being held up by the requirement of a local authority permit. Some authorities can take 3 months to issue these.

Problems like this are outside VMs control, so do not fall under the compensation criteria.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos