cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant Pre installation delays

TimColl1
On our wavelength

I've had an ongoing saga of my pre installation dates being moved every day for over a month now, when it gets too close to the installation date they bump that by a few weeks...and then the cycle beings again. 

I am so tired of getting the same script from the chat and the phone lines, no one actually knows what is going on, I only get people telling me what the system says which I am perfectly capable of doing myself by logging on to my account!

I also am so annoyed that the script involves the staff 'promising' and 'assuring me' that it will be done by the date it says when it really won't...

I just want an honest conversation with someone who actually knows what they are talking about to give me a realistic timeframe of when it will be installed! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

unfortunately you will get little info - delays happen and its not always down to VM - lets be clear i am in no way defending their system - its not joined up in any way - info is not passed to whoever needs its so you the customer can be left in limbo - have you any info what the problem is - if its a blockage then a council permit is needed to dig and sort it - add 6 weeks minimum for that plus a bit more for the construction team to actually do the work once the permit is granted - thats assuming the work is simple and roads do not have to be closed - i.e digging the pavement up - but if the blockage is more complicated or in a road or more critically [say] across an entrance to a school or hospital then the time can escalate

unfortunately you will be hard pushed to get any info - the best you can hope for is the construction crew have marked the blockage with green paint on the pavement or road - but that does not always happen afaik

so patience is something you need to apply - if VM are still giving you an install date however far in the future then it should happen - if they wanted rid of you they would simply mark your address as unserviceable - thats unlikely to happen as the duct not only serves you but other customers and other potential customers so the will [in their own time] want the duct serviceable 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

25 REPLIES 25

Aminryu
On our wavelength

I'm an existing customer who moved properties. Virgin told me they'd install me on the 16th April, my new "installation date" is the 16th July. I really hope you don't have to wait anywhere near as I am. Have they explained why they have pushed back?

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Judging by the number of long running pre-installation issues reported in the forum, VM simply don't care enough to put in place a process that works quickly and reliably, and provides easily accessed honest, accurate customer information.  Even when you get info out of the company, there's a willingness to attribute delays to council permissions when the real cause is actually VM's broken processes.  The forum staff are in a particularly difficult position, trying to get information across the intensely siloed and hierarchical structure, having to chase colleagues who don't respond, and everybody held back by systems and business structures that are not fit for purpose - and all the while put on a "company face". 

If you really need VM's service, you'll have to sit it out and wait on the company, and hope that you'll get compensation.

If you don't truly need VM's service then I really regret to say it, but I'd suggest you speak with an ISP that puts more emphasis on customer service, see how quickly they could connect you and at what speed.  Ask companies like Zen Internet, Aquiss, IDNet, uno or CIX, because they're more likely to be honest and give you clear answers on provisioning and speed than the large companies, and they are better at getting good service from Openreach than the big companies.  If you want a TV + internet package then you're looking at BT or Sky who aren't as good as those smaller ISPs, but have marginally better customer service than you know who. 

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/the-best-uk-broadband-isps-ispreview-editors-pick

The real root cause here is that twenty five years of unassailable speed advantage in the market has left VM bereft of the ability to compete.  Why invest in customer service and related systems when "being faster" was, and briefly still is all that was needed?   With the dawning of widespread FTTP roll out, VM are not displaying survival characteristics, and I reckon they have about 18 months to sort this out.  

TimColl1
On our wavelength

I hope not too!!

Only reason is that there are 'construction issues' - I have pushed to find out what they are but they don't know...what has transipred is that they outsource this work and they have no means of communictaion with the company they outsource to other than updating my record on the system...

I wish I knew who they outsourced this to so I could have a reasonable and infomred conversation with these people rather that VM "Customer Service" team who just read the dates I can see on my own account... they will litterally say anything they can to get you off the phone...

Hi @TimColl1

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting.

I am sorry to hear this. I will pop you a PM now so we can pass security and take a look into this for you. 

Cheers

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

TimColl1
On our wavelength
Hey - guess what??? My date had been pushed back 3 weeks...I'm leaving

Hi @TimcColl1,

I can appreciate its not a great start and we do apologise for the inconvenience caused. 

It would be a shame to see you leave us. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

TimColl1
On our wavelength

Indeed...although to 'leave' I would have had to have been 'in' (i.e. receiving a promised service) which I was not.

Looking forward to hearing what OffCom have to say for false advertising! 

Exact Same issue, Services was purchased on the 20th May, to Go live on the 29th June, It has since been pushed back to the 15th & now to the 3rd August.

No one has any clue at to what's going on and then you've got the script monkeys doing nothing.

At this point i've took out another line with Zen internet until VM can sort the mess out they've caused.

I do apologise @TimColl1

I can see on your account you have raised a complaint in regards to this. It is due to construction issues, that the installation has been re-scheduled.

I will message the Area Field Manager to see if they can provide us with any updates and I will follow up with you here. 

Thank you

Ayisha_B
Forum Team