Menu
cwilkes71
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Constant Internet Problems

I recently changed my virgin media package to broadband only and that's when the problems have got out of hand.

Since my TV was disconnected the internet became unreliable with power levels, after a frustrating call to the non-english call centre, an engineer was booked, he came and my superhub 2 was replaced with a superhub 3, and I was told that removing a device had caused noise on the line. The problem was fixed for a day or so then the internet went off for 6 hours. After a long time on hold and a lengthy phone call with the call centre, another engineer was booked but then auto-cancelled when there was a fault discovered in the area.

2 days later and the internet was off for 5 hours before I called again, I was on hold this time for 50 minutes. The call centre had me doing the usual turn off and on stuff, explaining what lights were on and then they were insisting that the hub was turned off because they couldn't 'see it'. After having to convince them that I wasn't insane, I suggested that in that case there must be a break in the wire or something between the hub and the green box. Another engineer was booked again and I asked for it not to be cancelled this time so the wires could be checked. The internet did finally come back on after a total of about 12 hours downtime.

He phoned before turning up asking if he was still needed because my levels seemed 'spot on'. I said yes because the problems keep coming back. I explained all the problems I'd had and he changed some connectors, adjusted some levels and signed the job off.

As I'm typing this, the internet has just come back on after 3 hours downtime and as I really don't fancy jumping through the same hoops of being on hold, turning hub on and off, being told it's not switched on, and then having to re-arrange my schedule for the engineer yet again, thought I'd try here for some kind of solution.

Do I have a faulty SuperHub 3 like so many others after searching on my phones internet while the connection was down? Is there a problem with the wiring? Why am I trying to diagnose the problem?

I just want someone to solve the problem and for me to get what I'm paying for - I've had no reductions in my bill for loss of service.

The annoying thing is, I was on a 30 day rolling contract with VM because I have been with them since it was Yorkshire Cable. Since I altered my package to broadband only, they've renewed my contract for 12 months. I would cancel and go elsewhere for my broadband even though when working I get 216mb on VM, 24mb is the best I can hope for with BT etc. But at this point, I would prefer an always working slower speed than an unreliable fast speed.

Sorry for my first post to be a long, wordy rant but I wanted to describe the full problem and provide as much detail as possible as I'm hoping a VM staff member reads this and can sort out the problem the call centre and engineers can't.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Constant Internet Problems

You dont say.... Is the problem restricted to wifi connections only, or is it evident on devices connected to the Hub by ethernet cable ?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
cwilkes71
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, not restricted to wifi no. I have a TV, Nvidia Shield TV and a gaming PC connected via ethernet. When the connection goes off, the hub will flash green.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Report it to customer services they can run a check on your circuit. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
cwilkes71
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I did, that's when they told me they couldn't see the hub and asked me if it was switched on.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Samantha_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Afternoon cwilkes71,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

My apologies for the issues you have been experiencing with the broadband connection.

I've taken a look at your line, the power levels are within range, there are no faults reported and no time-outs reported within 20 hours of the router being online. Everything is showing as fine.

The next time the broadband disconnects, can you post the router information for us to check over please? To do this type in 192.168.0.1 in the address bar, no need to sign in and click into Router status in the middle. Within here you will have downstream, upstream and network log and you can copy and paste this information.

Thanks

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
cwilkes71
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yeah fingers crossed it's been ok for the past few days with only a couple of cases of the router doing a couple of restarts but then the internet comes back on.

Whatever fault there was if it is to do with the wiring may still be there because when the internet has gone off, the self diagnosis tool always comes back saying 'it looks like your superhub is turned off' and when I was on the phone to the call centre they couldn't see the router as being on either.

I still reckon there's a break/loose connection in a wire somewhere between the connection to my property and the green box. The wires I have running across my front garden are exposed (not buried). If the problem re-surfaces, I would like to be treated as a new customer and have a fresh install of wiring as there are old, dead connections etc.

Thanks for getting back to me.

0 Kudos