cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering upgrading my broadband/phone to includeTV too

scarletp
Superfast

Currently I have Superhub 3 at the front of the house. Our TV is at the back of the house.  I am aware I am paying over the odds for broadband/phone only and understand it could be sensible to add TV. 

IF I was to upgrade to Virgin TV - I would welcome any guidance as to what is physically involved.

Am sure some years ago I had to dismiss the idea due to the cost and the amount of work necessary.  I am not technical so a simple description would be appreciated.

I am dreading ringing VM to enquire about upgrading anyway - especially if at the end of it I have jumped out of the frying pan into the fire!  

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There should be no extra cost. VMs will install an extra cable from your omnibox on the front of your house to the room where the TV is located.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Indeed yes as @Tudor says as above, the cable which comes into your house to provide the broadband connection also provides the TV channels, so usually it is split either at the box on the outside wall or inside if the location of the current connection is anywhere near where the TV is. Either way, some new coax cable will need to be run to where the TV is (or, at least, where you want it to be). The VM installation engineer will probably want to do whatever is easiest for them - which is really quite understandable - but think about what you want. Almost certainly, holes will need to be drilled through walls, ultimately a coax cable needs to be run from the outside omnibox to where you have the TV.

Tudor
Thank you for the reply.

Would this involve the extra cable being fitted around the outside of the house to the rear corner where it could be fed through to the TV? It would be very messy and awkward if a cable had to be fed inside the house then across 2 rooms, hall, understairs cupboard then across the living room.

Scarlet

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Almost certainly the cable would be outside. The technician will take the easiest option unless you want it done some other way. It’s entirely up to you, the technician may make recommendations, but you have the last say.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2