cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connectivity type

BenTarn
Tuning in

Hello bit of a newbie in here and just after some clarification, I'm moving to a new home around the end of August and noticed Virgin have run cable along the street of our new home the little covering on the pavement has a fancy looking Virgin media logo on it and was wondering if it would be true fibre right to my wall if I was to become a member and sign up,I had virgin broadband a long time ago but I know that was just Coax the whole way I had lots of disconnections and down time back then and would be hoping the new fibre type would be far more reliable 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @BenTarn 

You could also test the waters by taking out a rolling 30 day contract on either M100, M200 or M350 (albeit it costs a little extra) and if happy then take out a full contract.

https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/rolling-contract 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Newer installs in some areas are fibre to the house wall, but still use co-ax internally.  Nothing wrong with co-ax from the street cabinet, btw.  I had this for many, many years and have no problems.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You are unlikely to notice any difference between the legacy Hybrid Fibre/Coaxial network services & RFoG Fibre-to-Home. If Virgin was only recently installed it will be fibre, otherwise it will be legacy HFC. Even with the new fibre installs the backend CMTS services & the provided equipment remain the same. Everything converts to coax via a powered ONT on your front wall.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

When the service wasn't down or dropping to around 10mb on an evening with major packetloss it was great especially when I did a bit of gaming, I think i was in a very over subscribed area at the time, reliability and consistency is all I want really especially when getting myself into a 18 month contract

Thanks for the reply 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If you get a VM installation then you have a 14 days "cooling off" period - during which time you can test the connection and then cancel it all and incur no costs whatsoever.

So cant really lose.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @BenTarn 

You could also test the waters by taking out a rolling 30 day contract on either M100, M200 or M350 (albeit it costs a little extra) and if happy then take out a full contract.

https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/rolling-contract 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I didn't realise such contracts were available thanks for the heads up mate 

Kind regards