cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connectivity issues

White59
Tuning in

I have had three remote technicians try and resolve my issue, totalling 7 hours of waiting, holding, resetting, signing in etc  - namely my PC won't connect to the WiFi, despite only being in the adjoining room to the hub. One technician assured me 100% he'd be able to fix the issue. He didn't. The next one started to remotely check my PC, then just disappeared! No message, no call back to my mobile. The third technician, same thing! How on earth am I supposed to resolve my issue with this poor level of support?

12 REPLIES 12

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try the ethernet cable option when the cable arrives - if that connection is rock steady on the PC then that proves your issue is just a wifi one and so we dont need to worry further about looking at connection data to see if there is any fault on the Network connection and concentrate more on the wifi fix

Gadget rescue are hopeless and not good VFM - if you pay for that cancel it now and listen to what the experts (not really me 🙂 ) have to say about your wifi as this thread continues.

Your wifi may have been great before but you are now in a completely different wifi environment - where nothing is guaranteed.

For example If the wall between the Hub and your PC is made with insulation (foil) backed plasterboard, or iron rich Victorian red bricks - then you are in a "Faraday Cage" and the signal will struggle to get through.

Lots of other things can be interfering - there was the story last year, widely reported on national press where a whole Welsh village lost wifi at 09.00 every morning for months. The investigating team finally tracked it down to one television having a faulty component that meant when it was switched on by the elderly couple to watch morning breakfast TV. or similar - it just took the whole village's wifi down.

We got a new Panasonic Microwave oven before Christmas and its close to my router. Whenever it is switched on - all the wifi upstairs in the house goes off ! Thank you Panasonic !

My son is a semi-pro online gamer and says the "Wifi is the work of Satan" and will never use it for serious gaming or work - he uses a pair of powerline adpaters which work great for him

VM will rent you wifi Pods for an extra £5/month and that should also sort it for you (note BT charge £10/month for their own Home Wifi Solution.

Thus there are lots of options to sort your issue....   try changing the mindset from getting VM to sort it,.... to, solving it yourself (with help) by one of the options being floated here so that VM are then removed from your wifi equation.

I did that >20 years ago and have been stress free and slept more easily ever since 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Just ordered an ethernet cable, will ring and cancel the pointless Gadget-anything-but-rescue tomorrow! 

Luckily my son-in-law is a computer geek and his dad's an ex-BT engineer, so between the three of us, hopefully order will be restored within the next day or two! 

Thank you very much for your help and suggestions (I'll bear you mind if I have any other broadband issues!),  they have been very useful.  🙂

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Excellent... keep us posted on progress

Show your son-in-law this thread and he should be able to sort it one way or another with the info contained in here 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.