Menu
Pbarnes10
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Connections

Thinking of having Virgin TV, phone and broadband.

The cable would connect to the TV. How would it connect to the computer in another room please?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connections

Well theirs wireless or run a wired Ethernet cable from the hub to the PC.

jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Pbarnes10 wrote:

Thinking of having Virgin TV, phone and broadband.

The cable would connect to the TV. How would it connect to the computer in another room please?

You will get a V6 tv box and a Hub3 presumably installed side by side (?) in your living room - both wired to the VM network by coax cable going to the outside wall box.  The Hub & V6 need to be connected together too - if they are adjacent a short ethernet cable will be used and is best - although if further away it could connect by the Hub3 wifi or a powerline adaptor. 

You computer can connect to the Hub either by an ethernet cable (if it's convenient for you) or over the Hub3 wifi - assuming the computer has a wifi network card.  It is worth noting that VM only "guarantee" BB connections (speeds etc) to your computer by ethernet cable and not over wifi.  If for some reason your 'puter has a poor connection to the Hub3 wifi there are steps you can take to remedy that (eg buy your own 3d party wifi router or access point) but it may well be that the Hub3 wifi is good enough - after all it is for the majority of customers.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Pbarnes10
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. That is very helpful.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

VM will install the Hub3 and V6 box where YOU want them. The technicians often take the easy way out and install both together, less work. You just have to let the technician know where you want them installed. It is preferable for WiFi Access to have the Hub3 located centrally in your house and you may then not need to go to the expense of purchasing your own router or Wireless Access Point. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Reliability
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

IF you seek. Reliable broadband connection, don’t get virgin, if you don’t mind virgin promoting a reliable connection when in fact it is not, join virgin.

BT is good for reliability

pretty sure they won’t take a year to solve a hardware problem either

0 Kudos
dnpark38
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Reliability wrote:

BT is good for reliability

pretty sure they won’t take a year to solve a hardware problem either

Your joking I hope.

BT/Open Reach refused to fix my line and invited me to termination at no cancellation cost, hence I'm with VM now.

"VM 50 Mps Broadband and anytime phone."
0 Kudos
leeh76
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Do you know if this answer is still accurate?  I also need a hard wired link to my computer which is in a different room to my TV

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

This is an old thread - what services/equipment are you having installed and where do you want them sited?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos