cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection disconnection/drop every 5 minutes

StaaN
On our wavelength

Good afternoon,

First and foremost, I work remotely from home and having reliable Internet access is crucial for my very real survival and to pay the bills.

Having said that, my Internet connection keeps dropping every 5 minutes which puts my job and wellbeing at a very real risk.

I tried reseting and restarting the router 3b times.

Granted, I tried to receive help from the customer service phone line in which I got a smug response of not being able to help my issue because my 70 year old mum (account holder) couldn't remember the security phrase she set 15 years ago when she started with virgin. Great customer service.

Could somebody PLEASE, tell me why the connection is dropping or send me an engineer?

Postcose : WN68NP  Street : Rose avenue

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Do you know whether connections drop at the same time as wifi ones, on devices connected to the Hub on an ethernet cable? If you dont know - can you check? And what Hub is it and what are its lights showing and doing?

And can you see if they know there is a problem already.

Try in 2 places

1) Try the “check service,”Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum)

2) Then also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to street cab/ postcode level.
The "compensation "timer" can also be started on this number.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

StaaN
On our wavelength

Thanks for your response.

The router completely shuts down, doesn't seem to be related to WiFi. 

The cycle:

1) router completely shuts down for 4 mins (white flashing light on router)

2) green flashing light with arrows

3) still white light

4) comes back to normal

5) goes down again - repeat cycle

Was going to add pictures of what's happening but the limit for pictures is 1mb?!?! Cmon virgin seriously, are we still in 2008?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Ok - its Network/Hub related - so - Are there any known faults being reported?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

StaaN
On our wavelength

I think I fixed it, I plugged my ethernet cable into a laptop hub which seemed to flatline the connection, as soon as I unplugged seems ok