Menu
colin3131
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Connecting the coaxial cable

I'm old and not a techie.

My white Virgin wall box is on an outside wall, inside a cupboard (under the stairs).  The modem cabled to it is also inside the cupboard.  The wi-fi signal is not strong enough throughout the house.  I have been advised to bring the modem out of the cupboard.

1.  Will this help solve my problem?

2. If so, where can I get a longer (say 3 metre) white (optical ?) cable to replace the 1 metre one installed by Virgin?

Thanks for any advice.

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Connecting the coaxial cable

1) possibly, you won't know until you try though
2) it's not optical cable, it's coax.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

VM wont let you or any 3d party have their cables or connectors.  If you are moving the Hub and adding more cable, its also possible that the Hub power levels will need adjusting as well - only a VM techie can do this.  As you are by your own admission "not a techie" I think you will be best advised to get VM to do the whole job for you.  They will move it to where you want and re-cable it and tidy it all up for a reasonable £99!  Chenks is correct - but I would say it certainly will HELP to solve your problem - whether it cures it will have to wait and see until after you do it.  If it doesnt then there are other things you can do to improve the wifi (even without moving the Hub) such as wiring in a wireless access point.

For more info on wifi issues - read the 2 "pink sticky" posts at the top of the "Networking & WiFi" forum, it will help you choose a better location for the Hub.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

its high grade coax and changing its length can affect your power levels which could impact on your connection - then again it might not - theres cables on amazon that are said to be of the right quality - for a few pounds its worth trying - if it goes pear shaped then a couple of choices

1 - get VM to do it - that will cost you £99

2 leave the hub where it is and add a 3rd party wifi router - that can be mounted where you want - you connect it via a cat5 cable 

if you dont want to try a longer cable yourself then option 2 is the one to do without affecting anything

Tony
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@-tony- wrote:

2 leave the hub where it is and add a 3rd party wifi router - that can be mounted where you want - you connect it via a cat5 cable 

Tony probably meant to say Cat5e (or even better Cat6a) cable. Smiley Happy

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@jbrennand wrote:

@-tony- wrote:

Tony probably meant to say Cat5e (or even better Cat6a) cable. Smiley Happy

he did indeed - thanks

Tony
0 Kudos
colin3131
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you to everyone who has taken the trouble to reply.  I found the "plain english" used, much more helpful than the jargon found in VM documents.  Thanks again.

Colin

0 Kudos