cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting an old possibly NTL installation no wall box but a connector-less coax cable

magicturkey
Tuning in

I have an old installation from the 90s with a coax cable and a phone cable coming through the external wall, these were never connected to an NTL coax wall box.

At some point the coax cable has been cut back and has no connector on the end.

To use the QuickStart install, would it be enough to place a standard coax connector (if anyone can help with what and where I could get that if so) and connect that into the broadband router (I'm not taking TV)

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No, best to get a proper job done by the VM technician.  If you wait here a day or two a VM Mod will pick this up. Otherwise phone it in. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No, best to get a proper job done by the VM technician.  If you wait here a day or two a VM Mod will pick this up. Otherwise phone it in. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Call VM for a manned installation (free).

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The number to call is the pre-installs team on 0800 052 1734 8AM- 9PM Monday - Friday or 8AM-6PM Saturday and Sunday

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Free you say? They're asking for £30 for an engineer installation during sign up.

You may be able to negotiate that away. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

You pay £30 if you can get QuickStart but choose not to. In this case QuickStart is not possible if the cable is cut.

--

Spoke to someone using the live chat. They want £30 for installation regardless if there's no wall box, and they didn't seem interested in waiving it.

Wait for a forum team member to come round.

--

Get a preinstall visit to get this issue checked out.

In my case the pre-install guy assumed that the Cable and wireless (NTL) line was fine that was laid in the 90s.

Turns out they moved live connections to a new cabinet and the old ones became defunct.

Had to get a prepull in the end.