Menu
Highlighted
Markee
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Confusion about wall socketS

Hi Guys,

Apologies if this is covered somewhere else. I have had internet issues for about 3 months now. Up until yesterday i had no connection more than i was connected. I had an engineer visit (unfortunately i wasn't at home during his visit), yesterday and was told that the wall socket i was using was not the correct type!

I have a single gang socket with 2 x outlets, 1 for terrestrial aerial and the other for my virgin coax. He has put in a coupler from the wire going to the socket, to the wire going to my tivo box. Photo below.

Good news is Yes, it is all now working.

I now have a socket that i can't put back as the coax is now in the way. I don't know why this is the issue as it has been working fine for the last 7 years! -- what has changed?

Any idea on what replacement socket i could fit that would work with whatever the Virgin parameters are?

Any help would be much appreciated

Double socket.jpgBlack cable is terrestrial aerial lead.

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Confusion about wall socketS

The technician is correct, that appears to be a DIY socket rather than a socket from virgin.

You cannot connect virgin to a socket with a "circuit board" style fitting at the back as it gives a poor connection.

You could cut a corner off the bottom of your plate so the wall plate can go back on and the virgin wire can remain connected

0 Kudos
Markee
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Alessandro for your reply.

Can i obtain a separate box from Virgin? or a specific make of aftermarket supplier?

I still don't understand why it has worked for 7 years but now it's an issue.

0 Kudos
goslow
Up to speed
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It's a fairly ugly hack-job by the VM tech (presumably because the length of the white coax looks like it has been cut very short in the wall box).

First choice would be to get VM back and get them to fit a proper VM internal box for you (which would be surface mounted next to the aerial socket). That might involve some rewiring of the white coax to give more cable length. A ‘fix’ that leaves a wall plate hanging off is a bit of a bodge IMO (though you may get bogged down in how it was fitted to the aerial socket like that in the first place and by whom!). You may have to pay for it.

Alternatively, you could put a "single gang brush wall plate" on the wall (Google same for a pic). Remove your aerial plate and fit an inline female coax aerial connector to the end of your black TV lead. You might be able to hide all the connectors behind the plate so just the wires are on show.

You might also be able to do something with Euro module-type sockets but the first suggestion does not involve interfering with the VM connectors.

The coupler that has been used actually looks like a through-panel connector. If you can find a suitable nut to go on the back of it, you might be able to make up your own faceplate using the VM parts (but only if there is enough cable length to the white VM cable to fit it and the wall box is deep enough).

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi, Markee.

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. I'll be able to arrange a service visit so I can get the box sorted from here.

I'll pop you a PM so I can get the details

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos