Menu
jamesmacwhite
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Conflicting information on if Virgin Media services are available at my address

Hi,

I've recently moved and I'm interested in Virgin Media Broadband, but I'm getting a lot of conflicting information about if Virgin Media would be available for my new address. Without revealing specific information publicly. On a general postcode basis your postcode checker and broadband comparison sites will state Virgin Media is available in my area, but when I go down to the house number level that's when the information starts getting a bit blurred.

Putting in my house number returns the following message back from the postcode checker:

"We're pretty sure you'll be able to get your perfect Virgin Media package, but we'll need to get a bit more info first. Just pop your details in below and we’ll be in touch within ten working days to tell you what services are available there."

Using your postcode checker tool, I can determine that the first 10 or so addresses (in order of house numbers returned by house number) allowed you to go through with a Broadband purchase using the quick checkout e.g. https://store.virginmedia.com/quick-checkout?productCodes=P106879. However, after a certain house number the postcode checker changes to the above response.

I was able to confirm that at least one of the house numbers in my postcode already have Virgin Media services, but they were in the mentioned first block of addresses, that allows you to proceed through the checkout process online.

I also rang your sales team and they said they'll submit the request but it could take months, where as the postcode checker is saying within 10 working days. The postcode checker also isn't necessarily saying I cannot have the service, where as the sales team seem to think it's currently not a possibility at all.

If I could at least get a definitive answer about if Virgin Media services are possible at my address that would be great. Otherwise I might just have to go elsewhere. I have filled out the form provided when you go through the postcode checker but I don't know what the outcome of it would be.

I'm happy to provide more specific address information privately as required.

Thanks,

James

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Conflicting information on if Virgin Media services are available at my address

What you need is for them to organise what is referred to as a "spotter"

They can come out, look at the possibility of an installation and give a definitive answer.

Try onshore support, go through the phone menu to "Thinking of leaving us" and "Technical Reasons" during UK office hours and you will be most likely to end up with onshore.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

jamesmacwhite
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Conflicting information on if Virgin Media services are available at my address

@Kippies wrote:

What you need is for them to organise what is referred to as a "spotter"

They can come out, look at the possibility of an installation and give a definitive answer.

Try onshore support, go through the phone menu to "Thinking of leaving us" and "Technical Reasons" during UK office hours and you will be most likely to end up with onshore.

Thanks for this insight. I noticed the reference to "spotters" in various other threads and similar questions on other forums. Technically these are Virgin Media's engineers right? They would have to visit the property and assess if it's possible to cable? I have already put my details on the form requested through the postcode checker, but realistically does anyone hear back from this?

I can't really go through the customer service phone number as the options aren't available without an Virgin Media phone number or Account No, which I don't have... yet!

Edit: I managed to get past that with bogus info and spamming the keypad. I'll try and call during business hours!

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

not technically engineers, but people who visit the physical site and look to see what is there.
they don't need access to your property.

a spotter would only be applicable if you area is actually a virgin serviced area already. it wouldn't be applicable if you've just registered via cablemystreet.

is your property a flat or a house?
have you seen any virgin cabinets in your street? and more specifically any virgin triangular covers on the pavement outside the properties?
0 Kudos
jamesmacwhite
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The postcode definitely has Virgin Media services, just not all houses in the postcode area return "Good news, you can get Virgin Media services" via the postcode lookup.

It is a house, the street itself is a relatively new build, originally built in 2006. I couldn't say for sure the location of VM cabinets or any specific pavement covers, my initial thoughts would be perhaps due to the positioning/location houses closer to a main road are possibly able to cabled where as houses further down are not, but I'm no expert. I guess it would be good if a spotter could at least confirm that.

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

and is yours one of those that is set away from the road?
0 Kudos
jamesmacwhite
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It is further away relative to the addresses that can get VM yes, we are talking less than a few hundred yards though. Whether that has anything to do with the unknown return from the postcode lookup isn't confirmed though.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It's quite possible that your house is too far from the cabinet as coax attenuation increases with cable length.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
jamesmacwhite
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I had a look at the the cabinet map on ThinkBroadband.com, looks like several Virgin Media cabinets are positioned near the rear of my property, rather than the front. Several green dots in close proximity, so maybe there is a chance.

I'll see if hear anything back from submitting my details, otherwise I'll just go through the mentioned phone route.

0 Kudos
jamesmacwhite
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So I had a call back from one of the mentioned spotters, so it looks like they do pick up the requests sent through their postcode tool reasonably quickly. I've been informed that the area is cabled as originally thought, but my house is about 45m distance from the nearest point, so some construction work is required to provide the service to my specific address (average of 6-8 weeks), but in principle it is possible. I've now got a visit from Virgin Media booked to discuss further and the construction work required before installation.