Menu
rogersmj
Joining in
Message 1 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Complaint about installation delays

Hi all,

I'm hoping to be online with Virgin, however at the moment I have no idea whats going on!

The village I live in has just been cabled, and I must admit i've been looking forward to the fast broadband speeds and a decent replacement for the Sky packages out there. So against all recommendations I decided to sign up to Virgin Media. (Yes, i've been told by a few friends and colleagues not to touch Virgin as their installation work and their post sales/support is very bad - however I did decide to for-go these warnings and see how I do myself....) I must admit i'm wondering if i've made a very, very bad decision!

So since the work started laying the cables, i've had the following issues:

1. The 'inspection cover' was initially installed ON my drop kerb! So everytime I drove into my driveway, it would break a small bit off the cover! In the end I got this moved after months of calls to AFL (The company Virgin contracted to do the road works), calls to Virgin Media and even involving our local councillor!

2. The road outside my property has been dug up 3 (yes 3!) times. Each time the finished tarmac looks terrible. And now the tarmac there is starting to drop, leaving a dip in the path.

3. I signed up to a package and waited for the engineer to turn up on Friday (18th August). At about 2pm a van turned up. Stopped outside for 2 minutes and drove off again... After 5 minutes he was back and parked up. I met the engineer outside and he said 'Hasn't the cabling guys been round yet'? I told him that all we had was the cables up to the inspection cover outside the house. He told me that I was the third property he'd been to, where the guys were supposed to have installed the cables to the side of the property! So after 10 minutes, he drove off!

4. At about 5pm, in the pouring rain, another van turned up! This time it was the cabling guys... They set to work adding a cable from the inspection cover, to the front wall of my house, and fixing a nice brown Virgin box to my wall. I was a little concerned that this cable was only being put under a very small slither of grass that was being dug up in the garden, however the guy assured me the this is how it was always done, and if I wanted it moved I could get them out again for free to move it. I have since found out the this will cost me a £99 call out fee, so I was lied to!

5. After laying the cable, one of the guys started to 'blow' the fibre down the cable. A very interesting thing, I learn't from him! So the compressor 'blows' the optical fibre down the cable all the way to the main box, which is located around 300ft away! Amazing! However, my fibre would not go further than 40ft. After about an hour of trying again, and again, they gave up. They told me that there was a damaged cable 40ft away, and the road would have to be dug up to fix it! Arggg! so close! So they measured out 40ft and marked the road with some green spray paint. Then left! SO I now have an inspection box in the right place, a cable (which I can see if I raise the grass where they pushed it under) from this to my new brown box, but alas no new broadband or tv!

6. As I had no idea what was now going to happen, I called the 'installation team'. After a 20 minute wait on the line, I was told that the pipe in question was water logged and needed to be drained. This mean't they would have to get the ok fro the council to once again dig up the road and drain it! Now I have 2 problems with my pipe, which one is correct??? I was then told that this could take anything from 6 to 8 weeks to do! Really!?!

7. So just as I was contemplating the fact that I was going to keep my current fibre line and my NowTV box, AFL (remember, the guys who dug the road up 3 times!), turned up outside the house! They put up barriers and started to cut the road up again! Horray!!!! But.... Alas, after they repaired the road and dissapeared, I noticed that the part that had been marked with green spray paint (to indicated the blockage/water logged pipe), was still there. AFL had cut the road up before and after my bit - so by the looks of it they done it for some other reason...

So to conclude, I 'almost' got Virgin media, but not quite. I have absolutely no idea whats happening, or how long its going to take before I actually get connected. I don't know if someone may trip over the poorly laid cable in my front garden, I don't know if AFL are going to come and dig up the road again! AND I have no idea why I didn't listen to my friends and colleagues in the first place and take their advice! I've checked online with my account, and it just says "Engineer booked to install my services on:TBC Waiting for first available date" - a great help - not!

If anyone senior in Virgin Media, or indeed just someone who knows whats going on, can let me know why this hasn't been sorted. Plus, why i've been left in the dark for over a week and had to call Virgin 7 times ( yes 7 times), only to get 2 excuses why i'm not connected yet...

Life is too short! Sort it out Virgin!

0 Kudos
rogersmj
Joining in
Message 2 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Re: Complaint about installation delays

I see that no-one from Virgin has replied to my post, can't say i'm surprised!

My village has a local newsletter, that is published every month. In that this month theres another 2 people who've had the same first impression of Virgin Media and their failed attempt to get connected! Guess who's about to send in another email to them to tell them about his experience!
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 41
Flag for a moderator

VM reply in order - it takes a week or more for them to get to threads - add to that i am not sure they monitor this part of the board so you may not get a reply

Tony
0 Kudos
rogersmj
Joining in
Message 4 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Tony,

should I re-post this in another part of the community then, so they do see it? If so where do you recommend?

0 Kudos
rogersmj
Joining in
Message 5 of 41
Flag for a moderator

...And just to add insult to injury - I've just had a monthly invoice from Virgin Media!!!

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Kaz_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Hi @rogersmj

I appreciate you taking the time to post about the whole experience above.

I'd like to take a look into this for you to see how we can help here.

In order for me to do so I've dropped a PM to you that you can find on the top right hand side of the forums in the purple envelope.

If you can pop back to me on this, that would be fab!

Just to advise too, we would have picked this up a bit sooner but we work on oldest current post first in date order. As this is a community led forum many of our community replies offer support to the questions posed and we don't need to respond to them.

With this one, due to you answering yourself, you bumped your post back a wee bit in the queue but we got to you in the end!

@ -tony- This board is always monitored too. It's the one I primarily work on when I'm here so I'm usually around somewhere 🙂

Catch you soon Roger!

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 41
Flag for a moderator

@ -tony- This board is always monitored too. It's the one I primarily work on when I'm here so I'm usually around somewhere Smiley Happy

@Kaz_A - as far as i remember this thread started its life somewhere else - community natter i think - my comment was relevant to that 

Tony
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 41
Flag for a moderator

That makes comeplete sense then  -tony- lol

My apologies for my misunderstanding.

Drat those Mods and their meddling ways 🙂

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Hi rogersmj

Thanks for the PM

Checking into this there is a template raised by construction and that team will be able to support further for you.

The work that is needed requires permits from the local authority and permits from any utility companies who have cables where we are planning to work or dig.

To keep up to date with this with our Construction teams you can contact them directly via 0345 045 0595 and their opening hours are Mon-Sat 8:30am-7pm.

With respect to the account this has not started charging you. It's not an active account yet.

The account has to be active before a bill is generated and as this has not been connected yet the account activation has not yet taken place.

I'll drop further support back to you via your PM.

Kind regards.

Forum Team

0 Kudos
rogersmj
Joining in
Message 10 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Hi Karen,

i've called that number many times and just keeping getting fobbed off with this talk about needing licences, etc to dig up the path again. AFL have dug the path up many times, and as I think I also put in my initial post, they even have dug up the exact part of the path that we were told contained the faulty cables. Indeed this particular piece of tarmac has been dug up 4 times to our knowledge! There are also more green marks that have been added to this part of the path.

In all fairness, I would expect Virgin to contact me to give me updates, rather than me having to spend time contacting them. After all, aren't I the customer?

in regards to the bill, I did actually find out that it was a very well timed piece of phishing, which looked very much like a Virgin Media bill. I have forwarded it onto the phishing email address that was on the virgin media website.

I have my own business, and work from home as much as I can. So as you can imagine I need a robust and reliable internet connection, or I lose money. The thought of a faster line does appeal to me, however i'm really at that crossroads where i'm trying to decide whether to keep with a slower line, and have the reliability that PlusNet have given me over the past 12 years being their customer. Considering I was told everything was ready for installation and the first engineer turned up on the 18th August - its not a very good start, especially as i'm not being kept up to date with progress...

Kind regards

Matthew
0 Kudos