Menu
markwilliams82
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Communal Driveway

About 16 months ago I moved into a new house that has a communal driveway which at the top, is a Virgin Media cable point 

Although we can in theory get VM to the house; the engineers who came out on our moving day said they couldn't install anything because of the driveway and shared access so would need to refer it to their manager and the installation team.

Long story short, this is where it all went downhill and I ended up leaving VM and switched to Sky as an easier alternative. 

Now that my Sky contract is due up in a couple of months, I'm looking at options and VM is always tempting with the Broadband speeds so what can I do?

Is there any options for a communal drive? My neighbours to the left and nearest the cable point on the road; have previously had VM (there is a Telewest box on the front of their house' and they fed the cable around the lawn to the house. 

Can I tag onto this box? Do I need to dig up the drive? 

Any ideas would be helpful and I've attached a photo of the drive to help paint a picture

I've highlighted the cable on the main road, the blue highlights where the neighbours cable runs and the yellow area is the front of my house 

IMG_0352[8109].JPG

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Communal Driveway

You will need permission from all owners of the drive before VM will dig it up.
A way-leave form signed by all owners will probably be required.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The wayleave is mandatory if VM has to "install, operate and maintain electronic communications and media apparatus".

https://www.virginmedia.com/lightning/network-expansion/wayleave

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
markwilliams82
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

So I'd need for my neighbour to the right, left and the one opposite who use the driveway?

What kind of work would it entail and what width/depth would any channels be cut to?

Just trying to figure out if this would be worth it

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

based on that picture, how far is your property from the blue virginmedia connection, since engineer might be able to split it off externally, as for the work outside would be trench about 1 foot wide or less

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
markwilliams82
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Our drive and front of house is about 10-15 metres away from the road where the VM socket is at the roadside

1ft wide trench? How long would it take them to dig and fill that for the house

0 Kudos