cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coaxial cable not fitting wall socket

SadStudent
Tuning in

Just moved into a student house with my friends. Previous tenants used Virgin Media so we thought this would be a quick and easy option as our Internet provider as it was already set up. 

Router arrived this morning, but coaxial cable is too big to fit into the socket in the wall. After spending 2.5 hours on the phone, we realised the customer service was pretty useless. I'm sure we just need an adapter for the existing socket, but unsure of the correct size / name of adapter to buy.

Already regretting choosing Virgin Media but I guess we are stuck with this now. Can anyone help? 

20220806_133417.jpg

10 REPLIES 10

carl_pearce
Community elder

Post a picture up of what ports you have.

Hiya, I've updated the post to include a photo.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That socket looks like a TV ariel connector to me (I may be wrong).   If so then you need to locate the VM wall box or cable. Trace the cable in from the external wall omnibox to the hole in your wall.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

We have just checked outside and there is no Virgin Media omnibox outside, and the only other port we can find is an ancient ethernet port that hasn't been used for years! 

I've got no idea how the previous tenants managed to use their wifi here. Everything we try makes us more and more confused.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The only option is to ask for a manned install. This will cost nothing as the QuickStart kit was unusable. Be prepared for a wait however, as with no external connection it will require a full two-part install (Contractor cable pull from the cabinet, then internal install by Virgin themselves).

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Are you in a block of flats/property that is serviced from a single point with internal wiring?

What do your neighbours have?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

We are in a terraced house, the neighbours seem to be an older lady to the left and potentially another group of students to the right. 

We know the previous tenants had VM because when we tried to set up our account we weren't able as they had taken their old router to their new property without changing the address and refused to cancel or change it, so its been a nightmare even getting to this point.

We've booker a manual install via the tech support team so hopefully that will work. Very disappointing as we've waited weeks for the router to arrive and have been living without Internet for over a month. Got so excited when the router arrived this morning, only for this fiasco to go on! 

Thanks for your help, hope you're having a better day than us!

It might be worth setting up the Virgin Media Connect App as you might be able to connect to a 'hot-spot' for the time being.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See if you can get a 30-day contract Unlimited data 4G or 5G Broadband - last time I looked these were available for ~£20-30/month

--------------------
John
--------------------