cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coax cable doesn’t fit

ACUK
Tuning in

I have this exact same problem and Virgin tells me to use HDMI (doesnt work) and that they don't send out coax cable and I should buy one. Why do they not supply the right cables, refuse to send out the correct ones, but also insist you need to use virgin equipment only? It makes no sense. Virgin, can you please send me the proper cables for router (which is fine) but with splitter also for the 360 tv? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What kit do you have, and what have you had newly installed? Your post has been moved to a new thread, so some explanation of your situation & query will help. From the sounds of it, you were a broadband customer and have had TV services added - is that right? And if so - do you have a working co-ax connection point where you want to use your new TV360 box?

There has been cases recently of some "rogue" VM-CS agents telling customers to source their own co-ax cables, and this is complete nonsense.. however if you can explain what needs doing, then if all else fails the forum staff can pickup this thread and hopefully sort out whatever tech visit you need.

Ordinarily, non-fault tech callouts to amend or install cabling are a flat £25 charge - but if this is effectively a manned engineer installation that won't necessarily be the case.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What kit do you have, and what have you had newly installed? Your post has been moved to a new thread, so some explanation of your situation & query will help. From the sounds of it, you were a broadband customer and have had TV services added - is that right? And if so - do you have a working co-ax connection point where you want to use your new TV360 box?

There has been cases recently of some "rogue" VM-CS agents telling customers to source their own co-ax cables, and this is complete nonsense.. however if you can explain what needs doing, then if all else fails the forum staff can pickup this thread and hopefully sort out whatever tech visit you need.

Ordinarily, non-fault tech callouts to amend or install cabling are a flat £25 charge - but if this is effectively a manned engineer installation that won't necessarily be the case.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I have the 360 box and my package has always been tv and wifi. Virgin sent the wrong cables initially but since I rarely use live TV, i never bothered and don't want to deal with call out service calls etc. It is strange that virgins own whats app tech support would say something incorrect. Anyway, the part that goes into the router is fine. But both cables (from the virgin splitter) are able to go into the router back, but neither fit into the tv box back marked coax in even though the yellow tag says it should go onto the tv box. 

Oh and it's not a new box or anything. This is all with the original boxes/cables when I signed up awhile ago. If I have to replace, I'll need a splitter, the part that goes into the router and the cable that goes into the 360 tv box (coax in). I may have to resort to calling them on the phone but from others' posts, sounds like they have also been told that virgin won't send out coax cables... Thank you! 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Righto, so you've had TV & broadband, but the TV was never installed. When was this, was it an engineer install or self-serve Quick Start?

If you could post some pictures of what you have, that would help - I can't work out which of the following scenarios applies..

1: You've already got the co-ax splitter for TV & broadband, but am missing the white flylead that links the co-ax to the TV box

2: You don't have a separate co-ax feed for the TV360.

I think it's option 1, in which case I suspect VM may be able to send out the flylead rather than needing a tech visit. Not 100% sure though.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

dont know much about TV boxes but i think you need a convertor - i think thats it

https://www.diy.com/departments/slx-f-socket-to-coaxial-plug-adaptor/5028422001936_BQ.prd

if you can get past the fog that is CS you might get one sent but probably easier to nip to B & Q or the like

Tony.
Sacked VIP

VM will supply the missing IEC connector. Here's mine next to a biro.

20181126_001138_15pc.jpg

And here it is connecting the coaxial cable to my V6.

20181126_001138_15.jpg

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @ACUK

Thank you for your post and welcome to our Community Forums!

I can already see that our awesome VIPs have been giving you a hand in getting this sorted. I do apologise that you were given the wrong information by our WhatsApp Team in regards to what we're able to send out, I'll get this fed back. 

Ultimately, we are able to get any missing equipment/pieces sent out to you, we just need to confirm what you need. From your posts, I haven't quite been able to gather what exact piece it is you're needing. As others have mentioned, it does seem to be the IEC Cable - can you confirm if the white cable in the post by Roger is the one you need?

The diagram below may give you a better visual concept - although this is a diagram for our Hub 3 and V6 Box, it is the same setup across the others 🙂

Virgin WiFi - Connecting Two Hubs | AVForums
Cheers,  

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Thanks so much for the diagram-that helps a lot! It is indeed the IEC cable-it wasnt in the diagrams I got with the 360 box but it explains why it hasn't fit! Thank you! 

Thanks so much for everyone's help! It is so hard when I don't even know the terms-they all just look like random cables to me 🙂