Menu
JoeFa
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Coax Cable

Hi, The virgin engineer set up the TV box in our new house using the existing coax cable that my electrician had installed previously. The virgin engineer did not comment or informed me on whether the existing coax cable was no good and that I needed to use a virgin coax cable. Will the coax cable provided by my electrician work as well as a virgin coax cable ?

Thank you

0 Kudos
chenks
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Coax Cable

can you view TV using the cable?
if yes, then it's working.
0 Kudos
JoeFa
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chenks,

I have not connected it yet to a TV. I just wanted to know before I did so as I was told that they are not similar.

In fact what I need is to replace the connector the VM engineer used by an F connector module but was told by the module supplier that VM use different F connectors to the standard ones on the market since the VM coax cable was different from the standard coax cable.

Thanks

0 Kudos
chenks
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

coax is coax.
the grade virgin use is a bit higher than your usual stuff, but the engineer should have checked it was all working before leaving.

are you sure to coax cable the electrician installed isn't for your outside aerial?

what is it you are trying to do?
0 Kudos
JoeFa
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

When the VM engineer came to connect the TV box to the coax cable, I already had fitted to the wall a socket with a combined TV aerial and a coax point. 

TV 2 Gang Twin Isolated Co-Axial TV/FM Socket - White Plastic

The VM engineer removed the socket I had installed and replaced it with a standard VM wall box.

Image result for virgin tv wall box

The VM engineer having replaced my TV aerial and coax socket by the VM box, I no longer have an aerial point, which I need. And I told him so. He told me that the coax point I had was no good for VM because VM use an F connector not an ordinary coax connector. So I need to know if I got a combined TV aerial and an ordinary F connector socket (a satellite F connector) to replace the VM box, would the ordinary F connector work ? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

firstly coax is not coax - there are many grades - more about the insulation than the copper wire running through it

am surprised a tech was happy to use what was there - they wont usually unless you have somehow got some coax from them in the first place 

it all sounds like a quick easy job by the tech but thats just my opinion

need VM to comment - lets see if they can get here a bit quicker than the week or so it normally takes

@ModTeam - this sounds all wrong - can someone comment please

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
chenks
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@-tony- wrote:

firstly coax is not coax - there are many grades - more about the insulation than the copper wire running through it 

actually coax IS coax. i did specify that grades vary though.
a coax cable is still coax cable regardless if it is high or low grade cable.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@JoeFa wrote:

When the VM engineer came to connect the TV box to the coax cable, I already had fitted to the wall a socket with a combined TV aerial and a coax point. 

TV 2 Gang Twin Isolated Co-Axial TV/FM Socket - White Plastic

The VM engineer removed the socket I had installed and replaced it with a standard VM wall box.

Image result for virgin tv wall box

The VM engineer having replaced my TV aerial and coax socket by the VM box, I no longer have an aerial point, which I need. And I told him so. He told me that the coax point I had was no good for VM because VM use an F connector not an ordinary coax connector. So I need to know if I got a combined TV aerial and an ordinary F connector socket (a satellite F connector) to replace the VM box, would the ordinary F connector work ? 

Firstly, the VM coax outlet houses a safety isolator. This will not fit in a standard wall box. Secondly, there also may be issues with housing a rooftop aerial outlet & a VM outlet in the same box. Freeview TV & Cable TV use similar, sometimes conflicting frequencies, that may cause interference to leak onto the local network.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
dnpark38
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I'm not clear what you installed in first place from what you posted, was it a co-ax cable from that socket to where?

As you have a std. co-ax outlet and a "F" connection  which was your co-ax connected to?     Or maybe you had two co-ax cables.

With an arrangement like shown one would expect one to be to a terrestrial aerial and the other to a satellite dish.

If VM being installed I would have expected the VM installation to be completely separate installation.

"VM 50 Mps Broadband and anytime phone."
0 Kudos
JoeFa
Joining in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

hi dnpark38 ,

I had installed a cable to go to a terrestrial tv aerial and a coax for VM, both ending on the same dual socket at one end. The coax cable goes to the VM TV box at one end inside the house. The other end of that cable goes to a splitter that connects to the main cable coming into the housse from the external VM main box. 

I am thinking now that I need to leave the VM box as it has been installed by the VM engineer and connect the TV aerial cable to another socket separate from the original dual socket. It will certainly be simpler. 

Thank you

0 Kudos