Menu
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 11 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Changing DHCP range error

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

Although I haven't tried it I think setting the PC's subnet mask to something like 255.255.0.0 would enable access to the camera's 192.168.1.64.

I think the camera would need to use the same /16 subnet mask.

John

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 12 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Correct, the subnet mask change is just temporary to enable access to the camera.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 13 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

Correct, the subnet mask change is just temporary to enable access to the camera.

And if the camera comes pre-configured to 192.168.1.66/24, how do you get access to the camera to change the subnet mask to /16 if you can't access the camera until you change the mask?

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 14 of 18
Flag for a moderator

You change the PC's subnet mask.

--
0 Kudos
ison
On our wavelength
Message 15 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I changed my IP cams and NVR etc. Didn't even have to pull them down, as it's been mentioned just change your network card to say 192.168.1.5 / 255.255.255.0 (haven't tried 255.255.0.0 on normal network) but then you simply go to the cam and give it a new static ip address. 192.168.0.10 etc.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 16 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

It won’t work, believe me, although 255.255.0.0 (or /16) as a subnet mask would cover the IP addresses from 192.168.0.0 to 196.168.254.254 and so the PC could communicate directly to the camera, the return traffic from the camera to the PC would fail. The camera would try to send the return packets to its default gateway address (probably 192.168.1.1) since it would consider the traffic coming from a different subnet to what it is on.

In principal you could dual-home the interface on the PC to give it a secondary address on the right subnet but that’s not really any different to just temporarily changing the main address on the interface.

0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 17 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@jem101 wrote:

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

It won’t work, believe me, although 255.255.0.0 (or /16) as a subnet mask would cover the IP addresses from 192.168.0.0 to 196.168.254.254 and so the PC could communicate directly to the camera, the return traffic from the camera to the PC would fail. The camera would try to send the return packets to its default gateway address (probably 192.168.1.1) since it would consider the traffic coming from a different subnet to what it is on.

In principal you could dual-home the interface on the PC to give it a secondary address on the right subnet but that’s not really any different to just temporarily changing the main address on the interface.

It should work.

As long as your connected on the same WiFi band with the same IP Range and Netmask then the devices should talk.  The Router should ignore and forward the traffic on the same band as it doesn't match any processing rules. 

I know it will work on "Wired" devices, WiFi can sometimes be a bit "smart" but I would imagine it should work just fine.

In regards to what the OP wants to do.

In the past the Guest IP range was actually +1 on the 3rd octet so you could set your main DHCP IP range to something like 192.168.20.x and then reboot.  Guest would end up on 192.168.21.x, and then you could go back in and change the IP down to 192.168.1.x with guest ending up on 192.168.2.x.

I don't know if this still works.  My Hub3 is in modem mode and the family would be irked if I started rebooting things right now 😜 but if your really eager you could give it a whirl.

I think that in the past the reason it didn't work is that once the Hub starts then the Guest interface is up, so the IP is reserved, but forcing the guest to another range then lets you go back down as the range will not be in use when you go down... If that makes sense.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 18 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@jem101 wrote:

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

I agree that return traffic from the camera would fail but all we are trying to do is to get one-way access to the camera which is on another subnet in order to change its IP address.

--
0 Kudos