Menu
keric
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Change connection point

Hello,

We are due to move to a new house in October which already has Virgin (we are currently using Virgin in our current flat too). We have read through the forum for information on how we can get our computers in our study on the first floor connected to virgin, the hub is currently downstairs in the front room. Understand we could: a) have additional ethernet points installed upstairs (at our own expense as the threads seem to suggest), or b) ask Virgin to create another point upstairs for the hub which we would have to pay a fee for (this thread suggests it's £99 although it is quite an old one, so not sure if the information is still valid?)

I have also found this on the main site's FAQs where it states details about new cable points which can be installed by Virgin at £20 for each. Can I ask what this refers to and what we should ideally do if we want our PCs to have wired connection upstairs? We would prefer not to use power adaptors.

Many thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
StormW4tch3r
Superfast
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Change connection point

VM will charge £99 if you want the have the Hub moved to different location in house, as its a not a fault, you are better off getting a long ethernet cable or using powerlines. I was charged to have connection moved up to my room.

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The best way by far is to run an ethernet cable from the hub downstairs to your office/study upstairs. Whether this is internal or external is for you to decide. Personally I put an ethernet cable up the side of the house (so you can't see it from the road as I hate cables on the front of a building) and into the loft, there I have an upstairs wireless access point and a hub, then goes across and down into the office. You don't need the hub or wifi, I just put them there I have other devices in the loft as well. 

I bought a 100m roll of cat6 cable for about £30 from tool station, so far cheaper than paying Virgin £99 ! 

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Keric, thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

The infomation you've been provided regarding non faults' related job is correct.  There would be a call out fee, for the amount already discussed.  Do you have a preferred way of proceeding?

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos