cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catv Box

Shuhela-786
Joining in

I have a catv box outside my property that I did not ask for and would like moved what are my rights?

I have even asked VM to please lower the box so I can have a driveway and they first took £240 for a sight visit, then quoted me thousands to lower a box I did not put, nor want. I need to have the box lowered and feel it’s unfair to charge me for something that was not my doing.

Please can you shed some light, as I have to pay the local authority also for the drop curb which is understandable, but why should I have to pay VM? 

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

When the box was installed it would have had permission from the council to place it in the area where all utilities are installed, if you require the box to be moved the reason it costs so much is that if Virginmedia do agree to it being moved is that they have to pay compensation for the people who are affected by the moved and also new cabling etc will need to be run. You should find that the box is not on your property but is in the defined service / utility area outside of your property.

You have no rights I am afraid for this as the land doesn't actually belong to you, it is council land. If you are having a dropped curb then you are actually responsible for all costs that the work entails.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You'll find plenty of past topics about this subject on the forums.

Unfortunately, you have already completed the VM process for this (a survey for £240 resulting in a quote for thousands of pounds) and got your answer.

VM's equipment in the street may contain connections for many VM customers. To modify such equipment, those customers would have to be disconnected for a period of time during the moving process, resulting in compensation having to be paid out by VM (which, indirectly, means the person requesting the move).

Cueball99
Well-informed

The basic answer is, you have no rights.

As the cover is on public land the local authority would have granted VM permission to put the cover there, they have no obligation to move it.

As you have found out they will move it for an appropriate fee, which covers the cost of the works needed and possibly also compensation costs for all customers that will loose their services whilst all VM's cables are also moved.

So, your only options are to pay VM and get your dropped kerb or don't and don't have a dropped kerb.

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

When the box was installed it would have had permission from the council to place it in the area where all utilities are installed, if you require the box to be moved the reason it costs so much is that if Virginmedia do agree to it being moved is that they have to pay compensation for the people who are affected by the moved and also new cabling etc will need to be run. You should find that the box is not on your property but is in the defined service / utility area outside of your property.

You have no rights I am afraid for this as the land doesn't actually belong to you, it is council land. If you are having a dropped curb then you are actually responsible for all costs that the work entails.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks