cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Careless property damage caused by Virgin Media

tom_h
Joining in

The Virgin Media team came to our property today to perform the work on the exterior of our property, in preparation for our install on the 1st March (running cables, installing a box). Immediately following their installation, I noticed our current internet connection (VDSL) was disconnected.

On further testing and inspection, I have realised that the installers have ripped the existing copper cabling out, damaging our property and permanently disconnecting our telephone and VDSL service. My partner and I both work from home, and VM have now left us without internet connection, so we are unable to work.

I need some to come and fix this tomorrow.

7 REPLIES 7

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I think you'll be pushing it to get any techs out tomorrow.

Can you post up some pictures of the damage?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@tom_h wrote:

The Virgin Media team came to our property today to perform the work on the exterior of our property, in preparation for our install on the 1st March (running cables, installing a box). Immediately following their installation, I noticed our current internet connection (VDSL) was disconnected.

On further testing and inspection, I have realised that the installers have ripped the existing copper cabling out, damaging our property and permanently disconnecting our telephone and VDSL service. My partner and I both work from home, and VM have now left us without internet connection, so we are unable to work.

I need some to come and fix this tomorrow.

Posting up some photos of the damage may help the VM forum team when they get here.

Start preparing some evidence of the installation blunders as you may well be heading towards a formal complaint to VM and onwards to Ombudsman Services for arbitration.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

you need to talk to your existing provider - VM as all other ISP installers are good at cutting wires but they do not repair them - i would guess they are not allowed 

you might be able to get yourself up and running - phone lines are just 2 wired - there may be more but only 2 are needed and they are colour coded so join them and tape them up and hope

VM will not get to the thread for a few days so you will get nothing in a short time - ringing the offshore muppets will get you nowhere they will not understand what you want

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Indeed, look you would be entirely wasting your time trying to get any fix from VM for this, you need to get onto your current, existing provider and register a complete loss of service and get them to deal with it. If they discover that VM were responsible then they can take it up with them for recompense, and they'll certainly have better lawyers to throw into the mix - either way, not your problem!

One possible fly in the ointment would be if you have already put in a cancellation request with your existing provider, now although in theory you are still a customer and as such are entitled to equal treatment to everyone else, in practice, they are very likely to acknowledge your issue but see that you are leaving soon, the temptation will be, not unsurprising really, to 'downgrade' the urgency of fixing your issue on the ground of 'well what will you do, leave? Oh no wait!'

What typically happens in a case like this is that you call your ISP who in turn gets Openreach to repair the damage. It's not the job of VM to repair another operator's equipment.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey tom_h, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community I am so sorry to hear about this.

I have taken a look at our side and I can see you've been in contact with the team, did they manage to get this resolved for you? Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions.

VM were able to push forward the installation date, so we incurred less inconvenience than expected.