cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant find coaxial socket anywhere at all

Zobaloon
Tuning in

So basically I have just signed up to virgin media broadband yesterday and after the excitement of how fast quickstart could go ahead I slowly realised I don't actually have any kind of coaxial cable socket but I do have a virgin media ethernet wall socket, I'm unsure what to do as I can't find anyway of booking an engineer to come out to me, I will recieve my hub on the 14th of this month and won't have any access to it's services due to my lack of a coaxial socket, please could somebody help me with this as it's driving me crazy I already spent weeks being messed about by plus net and really need my Internet 

Thank you in advance to anyone who could possibly help in any way at all 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Zobaloon, 

Welcome and thank you for posting 🙂 

Our apologies for the delay in getting back to you but I am happy to see you have been able to speak to the team over the weekend. 

If you have any further questions or need any help, please do not hesitate to get back in touch 🙂 

Thanks 

Nat

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

23 REPLIES 23

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That socket is not an Ethernet socket, it’s probably a telephone socket. If you have this it probably means there was a broadband F socket at some time. Look outside and try to locate the brown or white omnibox. Then trace the wires and see if you can see where it goes internally. You could try phoning the pre install number 0800 052 1734 or just wait a few days for a VM staff member to get to your post

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thank you for your reply I will call that number first thing tomorrow morning

I do have a brown box at the front of the house and it has a few wires coming out, the one to the virgin media (now I know not to be the ethernet box) phone socket, there is another wire that goes into the front bedroom and that's just a long aerial that doesn't work and then there is one that looks like it's been cut, the box outside isn't virgin media or the name you said it begins with N or M I will have to check when it's easier to see in the morning. I'm not a very technical or electronically knowledgeable person so I appolagise for my lack or correct terminology 

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Zobaloon, 

Welcome and thank you for posting 🙂 

Our apologies for the delay in getting back to you but I am happy to see you have been able to speak to the team over the weekend. 

If you have any further questions or need any help, please do not hesitate to get back in touch 🙂 

Thanks 

Nat

Yes 4th of April 

Hi so sorry to be a bother but I'm wondering if I will still be billed even though I won't have my Internet up and running until the 4th if April, my contract started on the 14th of this month but I can't use the services until an engineer has been out, please could you further advise me about this, thank you 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You won't be charged until your connection is working. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

That's brilliant, thank you 

Hello again I'm so sorry to be a bother, I just needed to ask if I will beable to get all hooked up the same day that the engineer comes to install the correct sockets I didn't think to ask before

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The technician will leave it working for you. Make sure you ask him/her any questions you have about using it before they go. 

The only serious problem might be if they find a fault in the outside cable, but that is not very likely unless it has been damaged by a builder or gardener. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.