cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancel virgin media

Mcmcfc
Joining in

Am sky customer moving to virgin on their top package includes O2 SIM this was activated 3 weeks ago ,but virgin have delayed the insulation of  boardband & TV  by 11 days.can  I leave without penalty especially regarding the O2 SIM card

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

You can cancel the VM install without penalty up until 14 days AFTER connection.  If you really want to cancel under cooling off rights, then you need to notify both VM and O2 separately.   Based on what others have reported here you should expect O2 to refuse, likely stating that the 14 days for their contract have passed, that your contract is with them, and they won't release you unless you pay a heavy early exit penalty. 

The situation is complicated because you have (as far as VM and O2 are concerned) two separate contracts; As you bought the O2 contract as a bundled offer, VM and O2 are part of the same group and jointly promoted the offer, although I'm not a lawyer, I'm pretty sure the courts (or more likely a CISAS adjudicator) would reasonably conclude that the two contracts purchased in response to a single offer from two related companies constitute a single contract overall, and the VMO2 group have to fulfil all aspects of the joint offer, or themselves be in breach of the contract.  If my view is correct, your cooling off rights would start only when both contracts have been fulfilled.  

If O2 won't cooperate (which seems probable) you then either pay the early exit penalty, or sit out the O2 contract for 18 months, or you declare war on O2, and do the following:  Raise a formal complaint with O2, asking for cancellation of the contract without penalty, on the basis that although O2 may claim the contract is standalone, the offer was a single bundle, sold at the same time by one company for the services of the VMO2 group, is therefore a single contract, and the cooling off period for should start when both companies have fulfilled their obligations.  The complaint will likely be rejected, you then need to ask O2 for a "deadlock letter" and with that take your complaint to the industry complaints scheme CISAS.  I can't be certain, but suspect the odds are strongly in favour of CISAS deciding in your favour.  It doesn't cost you anything to involve CISAS, but it could take a couple of months or more to get all this settled if O2 won't cooperate, and until/if you get released from the O2 contract you will have to keep paying them. 

Worst case outcome, if even after CISAS you've cancelled VM but can't cancel O2 - since you're prospectively already in that situation you've nothing to lose by the O2 complaint/CISAS escalation, but you may decide that's all too much hassle, and choose to wait for the installation of the VM connection.  Just be aware that some new connections get deferred by VM time and again for months.  Forum staff here can't sort out matters relating to O2, so with the best will in the world there's nothing they can do.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You should have a standard 14 day cooling off period.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

You can cancel the VM install without penalty up until 14 days AFTER connection.  If you really want to cancel under cooling off rights, then you need to notify both VM and O2 separately.   Based on what others have reported here you should expect O2 to refuse, likely stating that the 14 days for their contract have passed, that your contract is with them, and they won't release you unless you pay a heavy early exit penalty. 

The situation is complicated because you have (as far as VM and O2 are concerned) two separate contracts; As you bought the O2 contract as a bundled offer, VM and O2 are part of the same group and jointly promoted the offer, although I'm not a lawyer, I'm pretty sure the courts (or more likely a CISAS adjudicator) would reasonably conclude that the two contracts purchased in response to a single offer from two related companies constitute a single contract overall, and the VMO2 group have to fulfil all aspects of the joint offer, or themselves be in breach of the contract.  If my view is correct, your cooling off rights would start only when both contracts have been fulfilled.  

If O2 won't cooperate (which seems probable) you then either pay the early exit penalty, or sit out the O2 contract for 18 months, or you declare war on O2, and do the following:  Raise a formal complaint with O2, asking for cancellation of the contract without penalty, on the basis that although O2 may claim the contract is standalone, the offer was a single bundle, sold at the same time by one company for the services of the VMO2 group, is therefore a single contract, and the cooling off period for should start when both companies have fulfilled their obligations.  The complaint will likely be rejected, you then need to ask O2 for a "deadlock letter" and with that take your complaint to the industry complaints scheme CISAS.  I can't be certain, but suspect the odds are strongly in favour of CISAS deciding in your favour.  It doesn't cost you anything to involve CISAS, but it could take a couple of months or more to get all this settled if O2 won't cooperate, and until/if you get released from the O2 contract you will have to keep paying them. 

Worst case outcome, if even after CISAS you've cancelled VM but can't cancel O2 - since you're prospectively already in that situation you've nothing to lose by the O2 complaint/CISAS escalation, but you may decide that's all too much hassle, and choose to wait for the installation of the VM connection.  Just be aware that some new connections get deferred by VM time and again for months.  Forum staff here can't sort out matters relating to O2, so with the best will in the world there's nothing they can do.

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Mcmcfc

Welcome to the community! 

Sorry to hear that your installation was delayed. Have you spoken with our pre-installation team to investigate the reason for this? You can contact them on 0800 052 1734. 

You would need to speak with O2 separately to discuss your SIM. It's disappointing to hear that this delay has caused you to want to cancel. Please let us know if you have spoke with pre-install or O2 and what was advised. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley