cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the fibre optic cable from the wall socket to the ONU be replaced with a longer one

nrodrigo
Tuning in

Can the fibre optic cable from the wall socket to the ONU be replaced with a longer one? What's the maximum length of the cables that VM provides. The ONU is sitting right next to the wall socket at the moment but I'm thinking of moving it to be new the router. 

13 REPLIES 13

Jonny, you need to understand how FTTP works. In a typical residential installation the fibre is terminated and converted to coax at the outside of the exterior wall, and so it's coax which is brought into the premise so that existing hubs and TV boxes can be used.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

nrodrigo seems to have now managed to get a tech visit booked but, if they are still monitoring the topic and are willing, perhaps they could post some pic's of what VM connections/kit they have fitted inside their home. Might be useful for anyone with a similar future query. This recent topic below does also seem to describe fibre being fitted inside the home.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Installation-experience/m-p/5246698

Edit: Internal fibre installation now shown in the video below from Jonny-M

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

Jonny, you need to understand how FTTP works. In a typical residential installation the fibre is terminated and converted to coax at the outside of the exterior wall, and so it's coax which is brought into the premise so that existing hubs and TV boxes can be used.

There are installations now where the fibre is brought into the property.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxlQTCZkeYU

Well, I did say in a "typical residential installation", but even if fibre is brought into the premise it's wrong to suggest that the OP should purchase a length of fibre to replace VM's existing fibre. VM's techs already have enough work in correcting some of the appalling DIY bodges out there.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection