cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get Virgin Media / FTTP

colinreid
On our wavelength

Hey guys.

As the title states I moved to a new area in Wishaw a year ago and I'm still waiting to get FTTP in my area since I am stuck with FTTC / 60MB down 20 up..

Although the houses across the road from me can get Virgin Media but yet our block of flats can't?..

I was wondering if anyone could tell me when I could get VM or FTTP in my area if I PM you my post code?

Kind regards

Colin-

5 REPLIES 5

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Have you tried the Openreach checker for FTTP?

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband

or their rollout map for a general idea of timescale if not yet available

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/where-when-building-ultrafast-full-fibre-broadband

You have presumably used VM's postcode checker already

https://www.virginmedia.com/postcode-checker

and read the FAQs

General impression from such enquiries on the forum is that VM often seems to be not that interested in connecting up blocks of flats (seemingly to do with issues of access/permission, coordinating multiple property owners and the installation costs involved for VM).

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Wishaw is part of the original Uddingston headend 1990s cable build, so is predominately coax network with fibre to nodes every 500 metres or so.

Installing coax in flats requires the wiring to be to cable broadband standards. This can then also be used for Sky/Freesat TV services depending on what is “plugged in” to each flat in the utility cupboard on each floor. While fibre is another possibility it sounds like there is no fibre in the block yet. Also VM would have to specifically feed fibre to the building additional to the local network.

I can only suggest you drum up as much support as possible from the rest of the block, as VM must see there is a demand in order to justify any outlay to extend their build.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

colinreid
On our wavelength

thanks for the reply! Yes I keep checking the post code checkers for any updates..Oh I see that sucks

colinreid
On our wavelength

thanks for the reply! So do you mean go to every flat / door and polietly ask them to register VM even if they don't want to buy it anyway to make some noise?

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@colinreid wrote:

thanks for the reply! So do you mean go to every flat / door and polietly ask them to register VM even if they don't want to buy it anyway to make some noise?

In a word, yes. VM only covers around 45% of the UK. This is because cable network build is so expensive compared to what is required for BT Openreach.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks