cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I shorten my brodband cable

Scot29Cal
Joining in

Hi I recently relocated my Reuter which has meant I now have around 5 meters of excess cable to do something with. Am I able to cut and re connect myself or do I have to request a call out VM engineer to do this … 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The network cable is VMs property. Any non-standard equipment or badly fitted joints can affect your connection. There is a possibility your modification could induce noise in the network segment affecting other customers as well, so you would be well advised not to modify it yourself. Also if your signal levels are already on the high side, shortening the cable may require an adjustment in the street cabinet to maintain your service at optimal levels.

Give the faults line a call & they will arrange a tech to do this. But as it is a non-fault related issue they will charge you £25 to do the job.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The network cable is VMs property. Any non-standard equipment or badly fitted joints can affect your connection. There is a possibility your modification could induce noise in the network segment affecting other customers as well, so you would be well advised not to modify it yourself. Also if your signal levels are already on the high side, shortening the cable may require an adjustment in the street cabinet to maintain your service at optimal levels.

Give the faults line a call & they will arrange a tech to do this. But as it is a non-fault related issue they will charge you £25 to do the job.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Scot29Cal wrote:

... Am I able to cut and re connect myself 

and be left without internet if you can't...I wouldn't.

Just roll up the cable  

---------------------------------------------------------------

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Scot29Cal, 

Thank you for your post. 

As @nodrogd has advised here - it would be a £25 non fault call out charge for an engineer to come and do this. If you would like me to arrange that, just give me a shout 🙂 

Cheers, 

Ryan.