cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I pay to have Virgin extended to my house?

Silus1
Joining in

Hi

all the surrounding roads to me have Virgin but as it was done before our house was built, it was never extended to our road.

whilst the availability checker shows we can’t get it, as our neighbouring roads do is it possible for us to pay to have Virgin extended to us? Is it possible to speak to an actual person about this request, seems impossible to get to the relevant department? Thanks 

14 REPLIES 14

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

As a general rule, you can in principle do this and there's some helpful VM staff here who'll respond in due course about this. 

Just as a word of caution, it is very expensive if VM need to extend the network with new trench and ducting.  If you use a guide figure of £200 per metre, and then work out the distance to the nearest VM cabinet (under council owned roads or footpath) you'll probably get a fair idea.  I'm guessing that there's many tens of metres and the likely cost will be more than you want to pay.

If sufficient people in your road will commit to ordering, then potentially VM will swallow the network extension costs themselves.  If multiple people want VM, but the company won't extend the network at their own cost, you might be able to club together and make a joint payment (this isn't totally unheard of, but tends to be complicated and rare). 

I’m hoping so. There’s VM cabinets within meters of the entrance of our cul de sac. And all the surrounding roads have it. Surely wouldn’t be far that they’d have to extend to, just a shame they never in-filled the area when new bits were built.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

If they didn't run the cables into your cul de sac it was probably because they decided it would cost too much digging up that road.  How many houses there would definitely want to use Virgin?  If they can't be sure of a profit they won't do it.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just to mention that VM only installs in adopted roads which the local authority maintains. If the road is private you won’t be on any build plans due to the complicated wayleave arrangements involved. Private roads are also not taken into consideration when capacity planning takes place.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Is the road block paved? if so VM isn't keen on this.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Silus1,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community!

Sorry regarding this however I can see that this has been rejected previously.

I'm going to raise this once more to see whether there's been an update and we can process this for you.

Once we receive a response we will advise further again.

Thanks,

Kain

Yeah the last time it was asked was just generally about whether they’d extend it seeing as it’s so close.

Difference this time is since the fttc is so bad here I’m interested in paying to have it extended, if it makes a difference. 

martin9595
On our wavelength

This might not apply, but try to find out if PIA agreement exists in your area or is possible. This means virgin can use the openreach duct to you property if one exists, the phone line would need to come in from underground obviously and not from a pole.  I'm getting a new install and it turns out there was an agreement made in the second half of last year to be allowed to use these ducts. It seems a lot of people aren't aware, I had to speak to the area manager who explained things. 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Silus1,

Thank you for coming back to us about this issue. I will chase up my colleague and come back to you as soon as I have an update about this. 

Please keep us updated on how you're getting on.

Thank you,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs