cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I have two IP addresses from Virgin?

Maciej
On our wavelength

With a single router or two routers.
With a single line or two lines.
Is it even possible to purchase two routers from Virgin and have two different IP addresses?

8 REPLIES 8

VM-Jon
Forum Team
Forum Team

Yes it’s possible but to have two you would need two hubs and therefore two accounts.

Are you sure you need 2 ? 

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Christy_D
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Or unless you go for a Business account with Fixed IP addresses.

Thanks

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

you have 2 ip address - one with the hub in router mode and one with the hub in modem mode - obviously not at the same time but they are there 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you let us know the reason behind the request we may be able to give a better answer.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Maciej
On our wavelength

Thanks.

The main reason behind it is that I am starting a business activity and require to separate my business traffic from my home network.

That's it.

Can I simply go the the order page and make an order for business package? Or, because I already have a line installed on my premise, I will need to undertake some extra steps?

Happy to arrange a call back for you, I will send you a private message.

Jon

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

When VM was Telewest. You could and I did have a second IP. There was a one off payment of I think £5. The service was called "gaming option".

Unfortunately when Telewest and NTL merged somebody decided to pull the service without notice.

So technically it is possible. But would VM sell such an option. I doubt it.

Hub4/Gig1-> pfSense->Microtik CRS312/CSS326/CRS305->Meshed Asus RT-AX89X
VM Network - Timwilky

Z92
Trouble shooter

@Maciej wrote:

Thanks.

The main reason behind it is that I am starting a business activity and require to separate my business traffic from my home network.

That's it.

With me working from home a lot more since last March I am also required to do that, for the safety of corporate data as they consider home networks insecure. I solved it by putting all the work related equipment on it's own VLAN so it's not possible to access the WFH network from the home network and vice versa, but it does require you to run the hub in modem mode and have a more enterprise-style switch. It's not a bad idea from a non-business reason either though, as things like Smartplugs and SmartTV's which access servers who knows where shouldn't need access to your home network, they only require an internet connection.